Andrew Simpson 1976-2013, Two years later
Published on May 9th, 2015
Today – May 9, 2015 – marks the two year anniversary of the loss of Artemis Racing team mate Andrew “Bart” Simpson, and the team held a small private ceremony this morning out on the Great Sound in Bermuda, and were joined by members of Oracle Team USA. A wreath was laid on the race course of the 35th America’s Cup, and a minute silence was held to remember the great man. Video uploaded on May 9, 2015.
Andrew “Bart” Simpson
Andrew Simpson MBE was a gold and silver Olympic medallist, and America’s Cup professional; who lost his life in a training accident on San Francisco Bay in May 2013. He was survived by his wife Leah and two boys.
Andrew, or ‘Bart’ to his friends, was the person that so many turned to for guidance. Supporting the next generation of sailors was something he was extremely passionate about, and in 2013, the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation was founded to continue his legacy.
For more information on the charity please visit www.andrewsimpsonsailing.co.uk
Andrew’s career highlights:
• 2013 – 34th America’s Cup, San Francisco
• 2012 – Olympic Games, Star, Silver
• 2010 – Star World Championships, Gold
• 2008 – Olympic Games, Star, Gold
• 2007 – Star World Championships, Bronze
• 2007 – 32nd America’s Cup, Valencia
• 2003 – ISAF World Championships, Finn, Bronze