Photo Contest Rules Updated
Published on February 26th, 2018
The ninth edition of the international photo contest Mirabaud Yacht Racing Image is accepting submissions up until September 12. 2018.
The 80 best images will be pre-selected by a panel of three international photographers and published on the competition website on September 18. Public votes will be open between September 18 and October 10.
The 20 best images chosen by the international jury will be announced on October 1, then exhibited in the presence of the main personalities of the sailing world at the Yacht Racing Forum on October 22-23 in Lorient, France.
The winner of the competition will be celebrated in public, while prize money and other prizes will be divided between the winners. Two “secondary” prizes will also be awarded: the Yacht Racing Forum Award (selected by delegates attending the conference) and the Public Award (based on public votes).
The competition rules have also been adapted following a consultation process with some of the biggest names in sailing photography. Here is an excerpt from the main updates (the detailed rules can be found here):
• Photographs taken from a helicopter, drone or selfie stick are accepted.
• Photos extracted from videos are not accepted.
• Photos can be digitally superimposed (…)
• The subject of the photograph must have a direct and obvious link with yacht racing.
• The international jury will be made up of 5 to 7 members. They will vote on a rate card and also talk to each other to determine the winners.
No fewer than 137 photographers representing 27 nations submitted an image for the Mirabaud Yacht Racing Image competition in 2017. The award was won by German photographer Sören Hese.
More than 20,000 people voted for their favourite image on Internet, while 2.2 million pages were viewed on the event’s website.