Sears Succeeds at Caribbean NOOD Three-Peat
Published on November 1st, 2016
The final event of the Helly Hansen National Offshore One Design (NOOD) Regatta Series took the field to the British Virgin Islands for the Caribbean NOOD on October 22 to 27.
Overall winners from each of the five qualifying regattas this year were invited to compete in the championship race. If a winning team was not able to participate, the second place team was asked to represent their NOOD city in the championship.
Competing teams were led by:
• St. Petersburg NOOD winner John Spierling from Charter Township of Shelby, Mich.
• San Diego NOOD runner-up Chick Pyle from Jamestown, R.I.
• Annapolis NOOD runner-up Geoff Becker from Arnold, Md.
• Chicago NOOD winner Martin Johnsson from Libertyville, Ill.
• Marblehead NOOD winner Charlie Pendleton from Marblehead, Md.
Joining them was two-time defending champion Dr. Jim Sears from Long Beach, Calif who, along with his Team Viper, again won the Championship for the third consecutive time.
As top finisher of the five invited Helly Hansen NOOD Regatta champions, Becker was crowned the 2016 overall season champion. Full report.