Forecast may postpone America’s Cup

Published on May 24th, 2017

The wait for the 35th America’s Cup may need to wait another day as excessive winds are forecast for the scheduled start of racing on Friday, May 26.

Current indicators are showing wind levels gusting above 30 knots in the afternoon, and whilst the wind may drop within the raceable limits of 6-24 knots later in the evening, imploding the boats on day one would not be a prudent move.

With racing scheduled to begin at 5:00pm, a final decision may be made as late as 9:00pm on May 25 after a more updated forecast is assessed.

If racing is cancelled on May 26, the America’s Cup Village will also be closed, thus crushing huge plans for this spectator friendly occasion.

“With a sellout crowd for Friday, and huge anticipation for what we are confident will be one of the most competitive America’s Cups ever, rest assured that we are doing everything we can to ensure that the opening day goes ahead,” said America’s Cup Event Authority CEO Russell Coutts. “However, if the prudent decision is to postpone the start of the event, then racing will be rescheduled to Saturday, where the weather forecast indicates great racing conditions.”

• What is the racing schedule? Click here
• How can I watch the racing? Click here

Source: ACEA

Tags: , ,



Back to Top ↑

Get Your Sailing News Fix!

Your daily or weekly download by email.

Subscribe - In popup

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

We’ll keep your information safe.