Campbell Cup: Bringing together big boats for a fall event
Published on October 13th, 2013
Long Beach, CA (October 13, 2013) – Roy P. Disney’s Andrews 68, Pyewacket, finished in first place on corrected handicap time in the West Coast 70 Class Sunday in the 2013 Campbell Cup while Jeff Janov’s Farr 40, Dark Star, took first place honors in their class making this his third consecutive year winning this two-day regatta hosted by Long Beach Yacht Club and sponsored by North Sails.
On a picture perfect weekend of sunny skies and moderate breezes of 8 to 13 knots, five West Coast 70 Class racing sleds and nine of the west coast’s Farr 40 fleet used tactics and skill on the same windward/leeward ocean course used during Long Beach Race Week and which will also be used in next year’s Rolex Farr 40 North American Championship, May 14-17, 2014.
With Roy P. out of town on business, one of the world’s top One-Design helmsmen, Bob Little, took over the driving duties this weekend on Pyewacket, a boat named by Roy E. Disney after a witch’s cat in the 1958 movie, Bell, Book and Candle.
Finishing in first place in four of the five races this weekend, Pyewacket’s crew dominated the West Coast 70 Class.
“Well, there are always the same challenges in any regatta,” said Little. “We worked hard on improving our communication and that, I think, was the difference. We started off the regatta well and just got better and better. The team did a really good job.”
Janov had a little more of a challenge in the Farr 40 class, but stumbled only once and held on to claim first place in the regatta.
“On our first race today the start was devastating,” said Janov. “We ended up match racing with [Jeff Shew’s and Bill Durant’s] Viva La Vida and didn’t get a good start. From there we had to claw our way back to get a third.
“The last race of the day we really got a good start. Dave Ullman [tactician] was really in-phase during the regatta keeping us in good position.”
“The fleet is getting tighter all the time. We were fighting really hard both days.”
Janov gave full credit to his crew of Dave Ullman, Randy Smith, Yumil Dornberg, Eric Champagne, Michael Bradley, Kelly Buchan, Kaytlin Hall, Travis Wilson and Tyler Wolk.
Second place in the Farr 40s was Dirk Freeland’s boat, Skian Dhu. Freeland also stumbled during the regatta, but his team fought hard and they finished within three points of first place.
“We had a tough first race yesterday getting a sixth,” said Freeland, “But we came back with a first place finish in the very next race.
“In the last race today we were just trying to cover Viva La Vida and did a really decent job.”
Victoria Campbell, wife of regatta namesake Mike Campbell, was on hand at LBYC Sunday to present trophies to the top three finishers in each class. Long Beach Yacht Club thanks Victoria for her continued support of the regatta her husband inspired.
The regatta, named after legendary sailor and big-boat supporter/owner, Mike Campbell, was organized by him in 2006 as the 70s Invitational. Campbell wanted to sponsor a regatta with the purpose of bringing together big boats for a fall event.
When he passed away in October of 2008 it was decided that in 2009 the Farr 40 class would be invited and the regatta would be renamed as an appropriate tribute for the regatta Campbell started.
West Coast 70 Class
1. Roy P. Disney, Andrews 68, Pyewacket, Waikiki YC, 1, 1, 2 (1 penalty point taken), 1, 2 – 7 points
2. Brack Duker, Santa Cruz 70, Holua, Cal YC, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1 – 11
3. Peter Tong, SC70, OEX, LBYC, 4, 4, 2, 2(penalty pt. taken), 3 – 15
4. Edward McDowell, SC70, Grand Illusion, King Harbor YC, 3, 2, 6 DSQ, 3, 5 – 19
5. John DeLaura, SC70, Mirage, Shoreline YC, 5, 5, 4, 5, 4 – 23
Farr 40 Class
1. Jeff Janov, Dark Star, Cal YC, 1, 5, 1, 3, 1 – 11 points
2. Dirk Freeland, Skian Dhu, Santa Barbara YC, 6, 1, 3, 2, 2, – 14
3. Jeff Shew/Bill Durant, Viva La Vida, LBYC, 2, 3, 2, 6, 4 – 17
4. Steve Murphy, JoAnn, Seal Beach YC, 3, 2, 7, 8, 3 – 23
5. Ray Godwin, Temptress, LBYC, 5, 7, 6, 4, 6 – 28
6. Gordon Leon, Foil, Cabrillo Beach YC, 7, 4, 4, 5, 9 – 29
7. Jim Murrell, White Knight, King Harbor YC, 4, 6, 5, 7, 8 – 30
8. Zoltan Katinszky, White Knight, CBYC, 8, 8, 8, 1, 7 – 32
9. Stanford Shaw, Flyer, SBYC, 9, 9, 9, 9, 5 – 41
Photos and report by Rick Roberts