Final race thriller at 420 Europeans
Published on August 18th, 2014
Marina Gdynia, Poland (August 18, 2014 ) – Having led the 420 Europeans Championship all week (Aug 13-18), Hippolyte Machetti/Sidoine Dantes (FRA) lost out to Switzerland’s Kilian Wagen/Gregoire Siegwart yesterday.
Things were not looking good for the French after their 16th place finish in the penultimate race 11 positioned them 7 points behind the Swiss. They had to put 7 boats between themselves and the Swiss in the final race to get back into gold medal position. Machetti/Dantes went onto win, whilst the Swiss finished back in 14th – so gold to France, silver to Switzerland.
A massive leap up the leaderboard by Alexandre Demange/Maxime Roux (FRA) who changed gear to score a 1,2 in what was their best day of racing so far and secured the bronze medal, up from 6th on the leaderboard at the start of the day.
The home team of Ewa Romaniuk/Katarzyna Goralska (POL) finished 4th overall and as the top placed ladies team, won the 2104 420 Ladies Junior European Championship title. Ladies Junior European Championship Silver medals to Paula Barcelo/Margarita Alba (ESP) who finished in 8th overall and bronze medals to Great Britian’s Sarah Norbury/Mari Davies in 12th overall.
Final results (Top 10 of 107; 12 races, 1 discard)
1. Hippolyte Machetti/Sidoine Dantes (FRA-55096) – 86 pts
2. Kilian Wagen/Gregoire Siegwart (SUI-52967) – 92 pts
3. Max Clapp/Joseph Burns (GBR-55242) – 110 pts
4. Ewa Romaniuk/Katarzyna Goralska (POL-55326) – 128 pts
5. Russell Clarida/Henry Fernberger (USA-54068) – 131 pts
6. Max Clapp/Joseph Burns (GBR-55242) – 140 pts
7. Thomas Ponthieu/Quentin Paturle (FRA-55095) – 151 pts
8. Paula Barcelo/Margarita Alba (ESP-53162) – 157 pts
9. Nitai Hasson/Yoav Shpilman (ISR-54144) – 160 pts
10. Jan Borbet/Lea Borbet (GER-55233) – 170 pts