Dutch team repeats at Formula 18 World Championship
Published on July 18th, 2015
Kiel, Germany (July 18, 2015) – The Formula 18 World Championship concluded just as it had the year prior with Gunnar Larsen and Ferdinand van West (NED) winning the title. The 2015 set a record for fleet size, attracting 167 teams from 24 different countries for five days of competition on July 14-18.
Two races were held the final day with the champions posting a 3-3. Oscar Zeekant and Charlie Begemann (NED), who finished second at the F18 Worlds in 2012 in Los Angeles, were again the bridesmaid this year. Their attempt at the title, after posting a 4-1, ended when the winds increased to 30+ knots. Glenn Ashby and Brett Goodall (AUS), who hadn’t sailed together for a year, were able to get on the podium this year.
The champions will seek a three-peat next year in Argentina, a feat held only by Mitch Booth.
Taylor Reiss and Matthew Whitehead (USA) won the Formula 18 Youth Championship for the fourth time in a row and nearly made it to the overall podium, finishing fourth overall. Aside from a DNC-21, they had won two races and kept all their other scores in the top six.
Final Results (Top 10 of 167; 11 races, 2 discards)
1. Larsen/Van West (Nacra Infusion) 21 points
2. Zeekant/Begemann (Nacra Infusion) 26 points
3. Ashby/Goodall (Goodal C2) 35 points
4. Reiss/Whitehead (Goodal C2) 49 points
5. Veenman/De Waard (Nacra Infusion) 75 points
6. Booth/Booth (Hobie Wild Cat) 87 points
7. Robert/Perron (Nacra Infusion) 101 points
8. Sach/Sach (Nacra Infusion) 114 points
9. Ferrec/Delaplace (Nacra Infusion) 118 points
10. Boulogne/David (Cirrus) 120 points