Cruising Yacht Club of Australia win Governor’s Cup
Published on July 25th, 2015
Corona del Mar, CA (July 25, 2015) – For the final day of the Governor’s Cup International Junior Match Racing Championship, the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia team of Harry Price, Angus Williams, and Tara Blanc-Ramos started with one foot in the grave but dug their way out to win the 49th edition of the event.
After being down 2 to 1 in their Semi-Final match against Christophe Killian and his Balboa Yacht Club team on Friday, Price won the next two matches today to beat Killian 3 to 2 and advance to the Finals. In the other Semi-Final match, Australians Lachy Gilmour and his Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club team needed just one race to close out Chris Weis and his Del Rey Yacht Club team, 3 to 1.
Price and Gilmour traded blows in the first two races, but then it was all nineteen year old Price as his team won the next two races to take the championship 3 to 1. In the Petit Final, Killian beat Weis 2 to 0, repeating his third place finish in 2014.
1. AUS, CYCA – Harry Price, Angus Williams, Tara Blanc‐Ramos
2. AUS, RFBYC – Lachy Gilmour, Alex Negri, Cameron Seagreen
3. USA, BYC – Christophe Killian, Harrison Vandervort, Jack Martin
4. USA, DRYC – Chris Weis, Alex Burrow, Roberto Stevens
5. NZL, RNZYS – Leonard Fry, George Anyon, Logan Andresen
6. GBR, RSrnYC – Annabel Vose, Tim Gratton, Bradley McLaughlin
7. USA, SDYC – Scott Sinks, Johannes McElvain, Andy Reiter
8. USA, NHYC – Jack Thompson, Joseph Hou, Robert Garrett
9. USA, SDYC – AJ Reiter, Storm Brown, Cutter O’Connell
10. NCL, CNC – Lucas Chatonnier, Matthew Kempkers, Joshua Wijohn
11. USA, CYC – Will Curtiss, Rose Edwards, Wage Wagner
12. AUS, RPAYC – Sarah Parker, Ryan Wilmot, Harry Hall
Background: Six international teams from Australia, England, New Caledonia, and New Zealand are facing six USA teams from California and Illinois, squaring off in the purpose built Governor’s Cup 21’s, designed by BYC Staff Commodore Alan Andrews of Andrews Yachts.