Storrs Leads Chicago Grand Slam
Published on August 20th, 2016
Chicago, IL (August 20, 2016) – After another thunderstorm-filled, blustery morning, the sailors completed the double round robin in winds ranging from 9-27 knots and a spattering of rainsqualls. The racing at the top of the pack was very tight. At the end of fourteen flights, first through fourth places are separated by only one point and are determined by two tie breaks. David Storrs and Harry Price are tied for first place on ten points, and Steve Lowery and Peter Holz are tied for third place on nine points. Additionally, both sets of tied competitors have one loss and one win against their tied opponent.
David Storrs of Pequot racing, sits on top of the leaderboard just ahead of Harry Price of Down Under Racing. Then two Chicago natives sit in third and fourth respectfully: Steve Lowery, with Rory Lewis and Maurin Lovera, and Peter Holz, sailing with his brother Will Holz. Lowery’s familiarity in the Sonars paid off in the breezy conditions today; he had a stand-out day winning all but one race and moving up from fifth to third place overall. David Storrs, as the highest placing skipper in the First Stage choice, has earned the right to select his opponent for the semi-finals tomorrow, but that decision will not be easy.
1. David Storrs, Pequot Racing (USA) – Chris Steele and Shane Diviney
2. Harry Price, Down Under Racing (AUS) – Ben Robinson and Murray Jones
3. Steve Lowery, Shadow Racing – (USA) – Rory Lewis and Maurin Lovera
4. Peter Holz, Windy City Racing (USA) – Mikey Whitford and Will Holz
5. Jeremy Koo, Sime Derby – Koo Racing Team (MAS) – Graeme Sutherland and Mohd Salfullah Mond Esa
6. Connor Miller (GBR), Rascal Racing – Isaac Clarke and Mark Davies
7. Hector Guzman (MEX) – Hector Guzman Sr. and Aisling Sullivan
8. James Wagner (USA) – David Wagner and Spencer Keenan
Source: Morgan Kinney, Chicago Yacht Club