Harris and Chapko Club 420 NA Champs
Published on August 21st, 2016
San Pedro, CA (August 21, 2016) – The 2016 Club 420 Association North Americans finished today hosted by Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club with the Club 420 Class Association.
Thirty-five boats competed in the regatta held on the open waters of the Pacific Ocean near the yacht club. This was also the culmination of the Triple Crown series and determined the winners.
The Triple Crown included five regattas that the competitors earned points for based on their placement in each qualifying regatta. Only the top three regatta scores for each boat count toward the Triple Crown standings. Twenty-nine boats participated in this series.
Today, racing got started around 12 p.m. in beautiful conditions with sunny skies and warm temperatures in the mid to high 70s. Winds were from the West at around 15 knots. The competitors sailed on trapezoid courses and completed two races today for a regatta total of 12 races.
The racing remained close again today and with only two races to work with. One big move came from Cole Harris and Tanner Chapko, who took the regatta win today. They sat in third place yesterday, seventeen points out of first, and today scored a first and a second sending them to the top of the leader board. Although their score of 47 points is the same as second place, they had more first place finishes overall. Eduardo Mintzias and Declan McGranahan, who had been leading the regatta all weekend finished in second place. In third place, just four points behind second, are Jack Johansson and Claudia Loaicono.
In the Women’s fleet, there were three boats competing with an all-women crew and their standings stayed the same throughout the regatta. The winners are Payton Thompson and Laurel Foster.
In the Junior fleet, both crewmembers needed to be under the age of 17 for the entirety of 2016. The winners are Luke Arnone and Mariner Fagan.
Top 10 Overall, Final Results (12 races):
1. Cole Harris / Tanner Chapko, 47
2. Eduardo Mintzias / Declan McGranahan, 47
3. Jack Johansson / Claudia Loaicono, 51
4. Joseph Hermus / Reese Guerriero, 60
5. Timothy Greenhouse / Jack Denatale, 61
6. Luke Arnone / Mariner Fagan, 79
7. Nicholas Marwell / Aidan Morgan, 85
8. Jack Reiter / Dot Obel, 113
9. Michael Wollmann / Camile Chin-Gurret, 116
10. Seth Rizika / Josh Zeelander, 116
Top 3 Women, Final Results (12 races):
1. Payton Thompson / Laurel Foster, 156
2. Helen Horangic / Teddy Horangic, 259
3. Gloria Kevliciute / Becca Rose, 298
Top 3 Juniors, Final Results (12 races):
1. Luke Arnone / Mariner Fagan, 79
2. Michael Wollmann / Camile Chin-Gurret, 116
3. Seth Rizika / Josh Zeelander, 116
For the Triple Crown series the top finalists were all close, but the winners are Timothy Greenhouse and Jack DeNatale. Greenhouse and DeNatale had an impressive record finishing third at both the U.S. Nationals and Buzzards Bay Regatta and fifth at the North Americans. One point behind them in the standings is Jack Johansson and Claudia Loaicono and in third place are Luke Arnone and Mariner Fagan.
2016 Triple Crown, Top 5 (Best 3/5 regattas):
1. Timothy Greenhouse / Jack DeNatale, 18.5
2. Jack Johansson / Claudia Loaicono, 19.5
3. Luke Arnone / Mariner Fagan, 20.5
4. Jack Brown / Kelsey Slack, 21.0
5. Eduardo Mintzias / Declan McGranahan, 27.5
Source: Club 420 Association