John McRoberts and Jackie Gay named Rolex Sailor of the Year
Published on February 4th, 2017
John McRoberts and Jackie Gay received the 2016 Sail Canada Rolex Sailor of the Year Award during a ceremony on Saturday, February 4, 2017 in Toronto, Ontario at The Carlu.
McRoberts and Gay, partners both on and off the water, were recognized for their achievement of winning the Paralympic silver medal in the doublehanded SKUD 18 event at the 2016 Rio Games.
Other finalists for the Rolex Sailor of the Year Award were Peter Wickwire and Parlympic bronze medalists Paul Tingley, Scott Lutes and Logan Campbell.
Recipients of the 2016 Sail Canada Awards:
• Skippers’ Plan Female Athlete / Team of the Year: Brenda Bowskill
• Skippers’ Plan Male Athlete of the Year: Sonar Team; Paul Tingley, Scott Lutes and Logan Campbell
• Volvo Car Volunteer of the Year: Peter van Muyden
• Bill Burk Memorial Youth Elite Award: Matti Muru (male), Georgia Lewin LaFrance (female)
• Gerry Roufs Trophy: Stuart McCrea
• Coach of the Year: Stephen McBride
• Instructor of the Year: Becky Power
• Nathan R Cowan Memorial Award for Developing Sailors: Fillah Karim
• William Abbott Sr. Trophy; Sail Training Program of the Year: Bedford Basin Yacht Club
• Recreation Event of the Year: Britannia Yacht Club
• City of Kingston Regatta of the Year: Mobility Cup; Pointe Claire Yacht Club
• Chisholm Trophy for Excellence in Race Management: 2016 Canadian Optimist Championship; Ashbridge’s Bay Yacht Club
Source: Sail Canada