Volvo Ocean Race Press Conference
Published on October 19th, 2017
The start of the 2017-18 Volvo Ocean Race is just hours away, and the seven skippers are about to go face-to-face for their first press conference. Which team will take first blood? Who is the favorite, the dark horse and the underdog? What attracts these world-class sailors to eight months of relentless racing, no sleep, and conditions so cramped and pressurized that they almost border on a psychological experiment? The press conference begins at 1000 CEST on Friday October 20, 2017.
Race details – Tracker – Scoreboard – Race route – Facebook
The first leg of the Volvo Ocean Race will start on October 22 and extend 1450 nm from Alicante, Spain to Lisbon, Portugal via Porto Santo.
2017-18 Edition: Entered Teams – Skippers
• Team AkzoNobel (NED), Brad Jackson (NZL)
• Dongfeng Race Team (CHN), Charles Caudrelier (FRA)
• MAPFRE (ESP), Xabi Fernández (ESP)
• Vestas 11th Hour Racing (DEN/USA), Charlie Enright (USA)
• Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag (HKG), David Witt (AUS)
• Turn the Tide on Plastic (POR), Dee Caffari (GBR)
• Team Brunel (NED), Bouwe Bekking (NED)
Background: Racing the one design Volvo Ocean 65, the 2017-18 Volvo Ocean Race begins in Alicante, Spain on October 22 2017 with the final finish in The Hague, Netherlands on June 30 2018. In total, the 11-leg race will visit 12 cities in six continents: Alicante, Lisbon, Cape Town, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Auckland, Itajaí, Newport, Cardiff, Gothenburg, and The Hague. A maximum of eight teams will compete.
Source: Volvo Ocean Race