Mojo got mojo at J/105 North Americans
Published on October 27th, 2017
Seabrook, TX (October 27, 2017) – As the spotlight shines on Houston for the World Series, so does the focus at the J/105 North American Championship hosted by Lakewood Yacht Club. Locals Steve Rhyne on Mojo and Bill Zartler on Deja Vodoo continued to dominate the 22-boat fleet, as seven races are now in the books of the no-throw-out series.
By way of a 1,5,1 today, Rhyne holds a nine-point advantage over Zartler (Mojo tallies 15 points to Deja Vodoo’s 24). Fellow Lakewood Yacht Club member Bill Lakenmacher’s Radiance moved up to third overall with 35 points.
It was another solid day on the racecourse with winds between 12-16 knots and puffs into the 20s. Rhyne earned his first of two bullets in the initial contest, trailed by Zartler and Rick Goebel’s Sanity. Bruce Stone’s Good Trade seized the win in Friday’s middle battle, as Josh Richline’s Veloce and Rick Schaffer’s Double Dare made the top three. The familiar Rhyne and Zartler were the one/two punch in the last race, followed by Lakenmacher.
Racing will be held on October 26 to 29 with a total of 11 races planned (no discard).
Day Two Results (Top 10 of 22; 7 races)
1. 15 / 41, Mojo, Steve Rhyne, Lakewood Yacht Club, 4-1-1-2-1-5-1- ; 15
2. 6 / 130, Deja Vodoo, Bill Zartler, Lakewood Yacht Club, 1-3-4-4-2-8-2- ; 24
3. 16 / 649, Radiance, Bill Lakenmacher, LYC, 3-6-5-8-4-6-3- ; 35
4. 13 / 88, Sanity, Rick Goebel, SDYC/CRA, 8-9-3-1-3-7-9/SCP- ; 40
5. 22 / 628, Double Dare, Rick Schaffer, Fort Worth Boat Club, 5-4-10-3-12-3-6- ; 43
6. 12 / USA 96, Good Trade, Bruce Stone, St. Francis Yacht Club, 12-10-2-6-7-1-8- ; 46
7. 21 / 490, Distant Passion, James Macdonald, Royal Bermuda Yacht Club, 2-11-8-23/ZFP*-8-9-13- ; 74T
8. 9 / 43937, Pesto, John Barnett, lyc, 9-7-7-18/SCP-6-15/SCP-12- ; 74T
9. 11 / 124, Blue Flash, Matthew Arno, FWBC, 14-5-15/SCP-11-5-14-14- ; 78
10. 3 / 03, Ne * NE, Osmond Young, LYC, 6-2-22/SCP-17/ZFP*-18-10-7- ; 82
Source: J/105 class