Brenda Bowskill: Rolex Sailor of the Year
Published on March 2nd, 2018
Toronto, Ontario (March 2, 2018) – Brenda Bowskill of Royal Canadian Yacht Club was honored as the 2017 Rolex Sailor of the Year, the most prestigious sailing award of the year in Canada.
Since competing in the 2016 Olympic Games, Bowskill has continued to make gains as she remains laser focused on her goal of representing Canada a second time at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Her continuous dedication in training showed at the 2017 Laser Radial World Championship in Medemblik, Netherlands, where she placed 5th, solidifying a Canadian record at this event.
Over the last year, Brenda has been working tirelessly in the gym and on the water, while also taking the time to complete her final semester of Nursing at Ryerson University. Her ability to tackle both of her goals with determination and drive is a testament to her strong character.
Bowskill was a finalist for the award along with Al Clark and Rossi Milev (details).
Sail Canada previously announced the recipients of the 2017 Sail Canada Awards:
• Skippers’ Plan Female Athlete – Brenda Bowskill
• Skippers’ Plan Male Athlete of the Year – Tom Ramshaw
• Volvo Car Volunteer of the Year – René Dallaire
• Bill Burk Memorial Youth Elite Award:
Liam Bruce (male), Georgia Lewin LaFrance & Madeline Gillis (female)
• Gerry Roufs Trophy – Triple Lindy Canadian Crew members; Sean McDermott, Rory McDonald, Rob Trainor, John • Mackay, Kent Paisley, Patrick LaRoche
• Coach of the Year – Brigitte Smutny
• Instructor of the Year – Devin Rubadeau
• Marvin McDill Memorial Award – Luke Ruitenberg
• Nathan R Cowan Memorial Award for Developing Sailors – William Jones & Evan DePaul
• William Abbott Sr. Trophy; Sail Training Program of the Year – Écovoile Baie-des-chaleurs
• Recreation Event of the Year – Fédération de Voile de Québec; Programme Voile mobile
• City of Kingston Regatta of the Year – Gimli YC; 2017 Jeux Canada Games
• Chisholm Trophy for Excellence in Race Management – J24 World Championships; Port Credit YC
Source: Sail Canada