Roster named for 2018 US Sailing Team
Published on March 20th, 2018
The 2018 US Sailing Team has been named, completing the annual selection of the top sailors competing in the events selected for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
The roster is assembled from a combination of sailors who qualified based on results at 2017 class world championships, the 2017 Aarhus Test Event, World Cup Series Miami USA 2018 or have received discretionary selection from the Chief of U.S. Olympic Sailing, two-time Olympic Champion Malcolm Page (Newport, R.I.).
Complete list of qualifications to make the 2018 team… click here.
Through the US Sailing Team and its sponsors, athletes on the Olympic path receive financial, logistical, coaching, technical, fitness, marketing and communications support.
“This year is going to be crucial for our sailors as they pursue their Tokyo 2020 campaigns, with the first national Olympic Games qualifier regatta, the Hempel Sailing World Championships Aarhus 2018, fast approaching this August,” said Page. “The sailors on this list will be working to achieve their own goals while also helping each other, our staff and our supporters build a stronger U.S. Olympic sailing program.”
For many athletes on the US Sailing Team, the pursuit of an Olympic medal represents a challenging journey on several levels; a chase for the podium means reaching for difficult physical, technological, financial and even psychological goals.
2018 US Sailing Team Roster:
49er (Men’s Two-Person High Performance Skiff):
1. Judge Ryan (San Diego, Calif.) and Hans Henken (Coronado, Calif.)
2. Chris Rast (Holland, Mich.) and Trevor Burd (Marblehead, Mass.)
49erFX (Women’s Two-Person High Performance Skiff):
1. Stephanie Roble (East Troy, Wisc.) and Maggie Shea (Wilmette, Ill.)
Finn (Men’s One-Person Heavyweight Dinghy):
1. Caleb Paine (San Diego, Calif.)
Laser (Men’s One-Person Dinghy):
1. Chris Barnard (Newport Beach, Calif.)
2. Charlie Buckingham (Newport Beach, Calif.)
Laser Radial (Women’s One-Person Dinghy):
1. Erika Reineke (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.)
2. Haddon Hughes (Houston, Texas)
3. Paige Railey (Clearwater, Fla.)
Men’s 470 (Men’s Two-Person Dinghy):
1. Stuart McNay (Providence, R.I.) and David Hughes (Miami, Fla.)
Nacra 17 (Mixed Two-Person Multihull):
1. Riley Gibbs (Long Beach, Calif.) and Louisa Chafee (Warwick, R.I.)
2. Bora Gulari (Detroit, Mich.) and Helena Scutt (Kirkland, Wash.)
3. Ravi Parent (Sarasota, Fla.) and Christina Persson (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.)
Note: No Women’s 470, Men’s RS:X or Women’s RS:X athletes have been added to the 2018 US Sailing Team as of this announcement, though it is possible that others could be added later in the year.
Source: US Sailing