Final at Antigua Bermuda Race
Published on May 16th, 2018
All 14 teams have completed the second edition of the 935nm Antigua Bermuda Race which saw American Stephen Murray’s Volvo 70 Warrior set a new race record of 2 days, 18 hours 32 minutes, and 48 seconds. Warrior also won the CSA Division while German Jens Kellinghusen’s Ker 53 Varuna VI took overall honors in the IRC Division.
Varuna VI was presented with a sketch of the newly commissioned bronze sculpture, The Warrior Perpetual Trophy.
“In dreamlike conditions of 18 to 24 knots of breeze we were able to increase our 24hr run record to 465 nm in the Antigua Bermuda Race!” commented Kellinghusen. “Moreover, the race record was smashed by two boats. It was Warrior who set a new bench mark breaking their previous record. But Varuna – with about 4 hours more on elapsed time – won IRC overall in this extraordinary offshore race. With this time we also beat the previous race record by round about 20 hours. We are happy with this result and we are looking forward to returning for the Atlantic Anniversary Regatta transatlantic race from Bermuda to Hamburg in early July.”
Varuna VI crew: Jens Kellinghusen, Guenter Alajmo, Guillermo Altadill, Jaime Arbones, Roberto Bermudez de Castro, Tim Daase, Jan Hilbert, Peter Knight, Holger Lehning, Filip Pietrzak, Lindsay Stead, Fynn Terveer, Michel Voss.
“The Antigua Bermuda Race holds a special place in the hearts of all of us at Warrior Sailing,” shared Murray. “It was the first offshore race for Warrior and our success in that first outing was proof-of-concept for the entire Warrior Volvo 70 project. We demonstrated that we could compete at the highest level of offshore racing while raising awareness of the great work that Warrior Sailing undertakes on behalf of returning veterans. I look forward to seeing Warrior Sailing and the Antigua-Bermuda Race flourish together in the coming years.”
Warrior Crew: Stephen Murray Jr., Ryan Breymaier, Nathan Fast, Jesse Fielding, Karl Funk, Ben Lynch, Jan Majer, TJ Roney, Paul Stanbridge, Scott Tomkin.
The 2018 Antigua Bermuda Race started May 9.
CSA – Cruising Monohull (CSA – 8 Boats)
1. Warrior, Volvo 70 modified, Stephen Murray, Jr. , Metairie, LA, USA – 1 ; 1
2. Avanti, Hanse, Jeremi Jablonski , Wilton, Ct, USA – 2 ; 2
3. Dantes , Swan 48 S&S, Michael Orgzey , Kiel, Schleswig Holstein, GER – 3 ; 3
4. Caliope, Bavaria 56, Juan Grunwaldt , Montevideo, URU – 4 ; 4
5. Hermes, Pogo 12.50, Morgen Watson – Ocean Racers , Toronto, Ont, CAN – 5 ; 5
6. Patra Negra, Lombard 46, Oliver Heer , hamble, UK – 6 ; 6
7. Irene III, 575, Louis Goor , Tinahely, Wicklow, IRL – 7 ; 7
8. Challenger, Whitbread 60, Chris Stanmore-Major , Mahone Bay, NS, Can – 8 ; 8
IRC (IRC – 6 Boats)
1. Varuna VI, Ker 56, Jens Kellinghusen , Hamburg, Hamburg, GER – 1 ; 1
2. Warrior (IRC), Volvo 70 Modified, Stephen Murray, Jr. , Metairie, LA, USA – 2 ; 2
3. Iskareen, Class 40, Arnt Bruhns , Hamburg, Hamburg, GER – 3 ; 3
4. Avanti (IRC), Hanse 43, Jeremi Jablonski , Wilton, CT, USA – 4 ; 4
5. Haspa Hamburg, JV 52, Sebastian Ropohl , Hamburg, Hamburg, GER – 5 ; 5
6. Broader View Hamburg, Andrews 56, Joachim M. Brünner , Hamburg, GER – 6 ; 6