Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Sailing
Published on September 2nd, 2020
The Starboard Portal, a video channel hosted by US Sailing, will feature the topic LGBTQ+ Community in Sailing, with panelists sharing their personal and professional perspectives, and provide recommendations on how sailing organizations can work to be more inclusive to individuals who represent this community.
The panel will discuss ways sailors and sailing organizations can implement strategies to increase awareness and opportunities for individuals from these diverse backgrounds. The panel will offer practical guidance for conducting outreach in your local communities and best practices on fostering these relationships.
Scheduled for September 10 at 7pm EDT / 4pm PDT.
Meet the Panelists:
Liam Faudree (Rochester, NY)
• Junior Sailing Director at Rochester Yacht Club
• Coached at Fair Haven Yacht Club, Oswego Maritime Foundation, Lake George Club and Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club (Australia)
• Participated in Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race (2014)
Francesca Clapcich (Park City, UT)
• 2-Time Olympian (2016, 2012)
• 49erFX World Champion (2015)
• Olympic Sailing Coach
• Crew for Turn the Tide on Plastic – Volvo Ocean Race (2017-2018)
• Co-Skipper for State Street Mixed Marathon Sailing
John DeRuff (San Francisco, CA)
• Senior, two-year captain for the George Washington Sailing Team
• Published a story in Outsports in the fall of 2019
• Contributor to Athlete Ally report on the Athletic Equality Index, measuring LGBTQ inclusion across all NCAA D-I institutions.
• Contributor to George Washington Athletics inclusive policies and practices.
Stephanie Helms (Yarmouth, ME)
• President of the Northeast Sailing Association
• Regional Race Officer
• Former J/24 District 1 Governor
• RSA Committee Member
Kimball Livingston (San Francisco, Calif.) – Moderator
• Commodore of St. Francis Yacht Club (2016)
• Chair of the Junior Sailing Committee and Historian at STFYC
• Member of Board of Directors for Transpac Yacht Club & Pacific Coast Yachting Association
• Columnist for Sailing World magazine