Training calendar for 37th America’s Cup
Published on April 21st, 2022
There is never enough time to train for the America’s Cup, and time on the water gets each team closer to the trophy. But training requires manpower which impacts the budget, so the Protocol for the 37th America’s Cup includes a schedule to limit costs:
• Each competitor may only sail one AC75 at a time.
• No competitor shall sail an AC75 from March 17, 2021 until September 17, 2022. An exception to this is if a new competitor purchases an AC75 from the 36th America’s Cup, they can have a maximum of 20 sailing days between June 17, 2022 and September 17, 2022.
• No competitor shall sail either an AC75 or an AC40 (whether or not in Class Rule compliant mode) from July 1, 2023 to October 31, 2023 except at the Match Venue. (This prohibition shall not apply to any Preliminary Regatta held during this period outside the Match Venue.)
As the only new competitor thus far, Alinghi Red Bull Racing (SUI) may be the first to hit the water in June, having purchased Team New Zealand’s first boat, ‘Te Aihe’.
New York Yacht Club American Magic is preparing for their training window to open, and will be based again in Pensacola, FL. This marks the team’s third winter training on the Gulf Coast after sailing their 38-foot test boat in 2018 (above) and their first AC75 in 2019.
“Returning to Pensacola was an easy decision for us,” said Terry Hutchinson, Skipper, and President of Sailing Operations for NYYC American Magic.” The Pensacola community has embraced the American Magic team. Pensacola Bay has proven to be an ideal training venue for foiling monohulls. We hope to forge a longer term plan in Pensacola for the team.”
The team will move to Pensacola in September of this year and train all winter until relocating to Barcelona for the final push into AC37. The team’s base and boat are currently being packed up in New Zealand and are expected to clear U.S. customs in late May.
Pensacola is known to be a premiere sailing venue in the United States. There is consistent wind on the bay, which is geographically relatively flat making for a great natural foiling location. Patriot, the team’s AC75 that they race in the 36th America’s Cup, will splash after September 17, 2022.
Following the publication of the AC37 Protocol and AC75 Class Rule on November 17, 2021, the AC75 Class Rule and AC Technical Regulations were finalized on March 17, 2022. The entry period opened December 1, 2021 and runs until July 31, 2022, but late entries for the 37th America’s Cup may be accepted until May 31, 2023. The Defender was to announce the Match Venue on September 17, 2021 but postponed the venue reveal, confirming it would be Barcelona on by March 30, 2022.
Teams revealed to challenge defender Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL):
• INEOS Britannia (GBR)
• Alinghi Red Bull Racing (SUI)
• Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli Team (ITA)
• NYYC American Magic (USA)