Field confirmed for Seawanhaka Cup
Published on May 11th, 2022
The Long Beach Yacht Club has invited nine teams for the 2022 Seawanhaka International Challenge Cup to be held June 1-5 in Long Beach, CA. The global field of match racing competitors stretches from Europe to North America to Oceania, making it larger and more international than at any time since the late 1980s.
To be sailed in Catalina 37s, the line-up includes Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht club and the present holder of the Cup, Long Beach Yacht Club. Also competing is Minima Yacht Club on the River Thames just above London, which participated in the original event in 1895.
The Seawanhaka Cup is a historic international challenge for the purpose of promoting small yacht racing and developing the Corinthian spirit among competing yachtsmen. It is considered to be the oldest yachting trophy originated in the United States that is still in active competition internationally.
The Seawanhaka Cup is a match racing event open to international teams consisting of regular members of the yacht club they are representing and nationals of the country where the club resides. The first challenge was sailed in Oyster Bay, New York in 1895.
SEAWANHAKA CUP INVITED CLUBS
1. Chicago Yacht Club – Illinois, USA
2. Long Beach Yacht Club – California, USA
3. Minima Yacht Club – England
4. Royal Canadian Yacht Club – Canada
5. Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron – New Zealand
6. Royal Norwegian Yacht Club – Norway
7. Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron – Australia
8. Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club – New York, USA
9. St. Francis Yacht Club – California, USA