Quantum Racing wins TP52 Worlds
Published on June 25th, 2022
The Quantum Racing team claimed the 2022 Rolex TP52 World Championship title as Doug DeVos’ US flagged crew rarely missed a step in the ten race series held June 21-25 in Cascais, Portugal.
And while it is the Quantum Racing’s fourth world title achieved during the ten year history of the 52 SUPER SERIES, it was the first won with owner-driver DeVos on the helm.
After four days of precision positioning and taxing tactics on an unusually – for Cascais – open, light winds race arena, the final day saw the NW’ly trade winds pumping down the race track at 20-22 knots and the surf built to offer the brisk racing conditions which are so sought after by the nine boat fleet.
Quantum Racing started the day with a three points lead over nearest rivals, Harm Müller-Spreer’s Platoon. And while the German team started better in both races and seemed set to take the fight to the Americans, each times the new champions prevailed.
On the first upwind they broke Platoon’s cover and went on to win while Platoon were penalized for a rules infringement. On the second breezy windward-leeward Quantum Racing were ahead after a scrappy first upwind saw both title challengers deep at the first turn.
“The entire event was close,” noted Quantum Racing tactician Terry Hutchinson. “You take the good with the bad. It’s hard here as we all have right on the brain but it’s how you get there that’s the tricky part. The neat thing about this championship we’ve won with Doug on the boat – to be able to share this with him is awesome.”
Quantum Racing maintain an ‘even years’ pattern, lifting the Rolex TP52 World Championship title in 2014, 2016, 2018 and now 2022. The 2020 event planned for South Africa had to be cancelled. Other winners have been Platoon in 2017 and 2019, Azzurra in 2015 in Cascais, Ràn won in 2013 in Miami, and in 2021 it was Sled.
Final Results (10 races)
1. Quantum Racing, Doug DeVos (USA) 2,2,2,3,3,6,2,6,1,6; 33 pts
2. Platoon, Harm Müller-Spreer (GER) 5,3,4,1,6,4,5,1,4,7; 40 pts.
3. Alegre, Andrés Soriano (GBR) 1,8,1,9,5,1,7,4,2,3; 41 pts.
4. Phoenix, Toni Norris (RSA) 4,4,5,4,1,8,3,5,3,5; 42 pts.
5. Sled, Takashi Okura (USA) 8,1,8,5,8,3,1,3,5,2; 44 pts.
6. Provezza, Ergin Imre (TUR) 6,5,9,7,2,7,8,2,7,1; 54 pts
7. Vayu, Tom and Kevin Whitcraft (THA) 3,6,3,2,4,2,9,7,9,9; 54 pts
8. Interlodge, Austin Fragomen (USA) 7,9,7,8,7,9,6,8,6,4; 71 pts.
9. Gladiator, Tony Langley (GBR) 9,7,6,6,9,5,4,9,8,8 (2); 73 pts.
52 SUPER SERIES 2022 Series (after two regattas)
1. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) 55 pts.
2. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) 66 pts.
3. Phoenix (RSA) (Toni Norris) 69 pts.
4. Alegre (GBR) (Andrés Soriano) 84 pts.
5. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) 87.5 pts.
6. Vayu (THA) (Tom y Kevin Whitcraft) 99 pts.
7. Interlodge (USA) (Austin Fragomen) 110 pts.
8. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) 115 pts.
9. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) 133 pts.
52 SUPER SERIES 2022 Schedule
May 23-28 – BAIONA 52 SUPER SERIES SAILING WEEK – Baiona, Spain
June 20-25 – ROLEX TP52 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CASCAIS – Cascais, Portugal
July 21-26 – PUERTO PORTALS 52 SUPER SERIES SAILING WEEK – Puerto Portals, Mallorca
September 26-October 1 – SCARLINO 52 SUPER SERIES SAILING WEEK – Scarlino, Italy
October 24-29 – BARCELONA 52 SUPER SERIES SAILING WEEK – Barcelona, Spain
Source: 52 Super Series