Top 20 Finalists for Mirabaud Yacht Racing Image 2022
Published on November 16th, 2022
(November 16, 2022) – The 2022 edition of the Mirabaud Yacht Racing Image award attracted submissions from 150 professional photographers representing 29 nations, with the six-person jury advancing the 20 entrants that fulfilled contest rules and were deemed to be among the best images.
Twenty yacht racing photographers representing twelve nations reach the final phase of the Mirabaud Yacht Racing Image award. Their pictures, selected by the international jury, will be exhibited next week at the Yacht Racing Forum in Malta.
The top 20 include some of the world’s most prominent yacht racing photographers, active all over the world. The overall winner of the 2022 edition is one of them.
He / she will be announced and celebrated, with all the winners of the competition, on Monday, November 21 in front of the sports’ leading personalities from all over the world during the Yacht Racing Forum evening reception at Malta’s National Aquarium.
Three prizes will be awarded to the winners:
• Mirabaud Yacht Racing Image Award (main prize), selected by the international jury.
• Public Award based on the number of public votes cast on the internet for the 80 images.
• Delegates Award based on votes from participants at World Sailing’s Annual Conference and the Yacht Racing Forum.
The six members of the international jury:
• David Graham (GBR), CEO of World Sailing
• Jonquil Hackenberg (GBR), The Magenta Project Chair
• Loïc Venance (FRA), professional photographer at AFP and winner of the Mirabaud Yacht Racing Image award 2021
• Meg Reilly (USA), The Magenta Project Chief Coordination and Engagement Officer
• Nicolas Mirabaud (SUI), Managing Partner, Mirabaud & Cie SA
• Brice Lechevallier (SUI), Editor-in-Chief of Skippers magazine
The top 80 images can also be viewed below:
2022 Contest Rules
• The contest is open to professional photographers who can confirm and prove that they have regularly published pictures and been paid for their work.
• Photographers can submit only one photograph.
• The photos submitted must have been taken between October 5, 2021 and October 9, 2022.
• The photos must be submitted before October 9, 2022 at 23:59 PM (GMT).
• The votes by the international jury will be based on the following criteria:
– Emotion (general impression and feeling about each picture)
– Technical difficulty
• The photographs must not be embedded. The photographer’s names, websites etc… must not appear on the photo. We recommend that they be included in the photograph’s iptc.
• The subject of the contest is boat racing in all its forms, from classic yachts to top-end racers, including multihulls, dinghies, windsurf and kitesurfing.
• The pictures submitted must reflect the spirit of yacht racing. They may have been taken at any time, before, during and after regattas.
• Only photos that have not yet been submitted for the Mirabaud Yacht Racing Image award will be accepted.
• Photos that do not relate with racing will not be accepted.
• The photographs must be submitted in high resolution, jpg format.
• Photos may be stacked, digitally or otherwise enhanced but it is forbidden to add / remove elements from the photographs.
• Photos taken from a helicopter, a drone or selfie stick are accepted.
• Pictures extracted from a video are not accepted.
• If doubts occur regarding the authenticity of the image, the original RAW file can be requested for analysis. The final choice is at the sole discretion of the jury.
• If the subject of a photograph is a minor (under the age of 18), the photographer can be asked to provide a written release from the parent or legal guardian of the minor.