M32 World Championship in Newport
Published on September 28th, 2023
Eleven USA teams along with one entrant from Sweden will vie for the 2023 M32 World Championship title on September 28-October 1 in Newport, RI.
The field features three-time back-to-back defending champion Don Wilson and his Convexity roster of Taylor Canfield, Kinley Fowler, Ricky McGarvie, Jake Lilley, and Ted Hackney. However, Dan Cheresh’s Extreme² is eager for a rematch. Last year’s Worlds hosted a final race faceoff with Convexity topping Extreme² by a single point, only secured in the final minute.
Or will the fleet’s hot newcomer, Jake Julien, disrupt the pecking order. His Rated X team has won nearly everything this season: the winter series, summer series, and North American Championship.
The 2023 field:
• Surge: Ryan McKillen’s turquoise team features the famous Phil Robertson calling tactics. True to its namesake, Surge has a track record of surging at the end of the day & regatta, always in the mix to win it.
• Convergence: Helmed by Jen Wilson, Convergence is known for its strong teamwork, especially in light air. With two second place finishes under their belts this season and a heavy air Pre-Worlds title, Convergence is a team to keep your eyes on.
• Midtown Racing: There’s no denying that Larry Phillips and his team are hometown heroes and crowd-favorites here on our Newport racetrack. Tactician Ian Williams is sure to keep Midtown in the action at all times.
• Pursuit: M32 Class President Bill Ruh’s Pursuit team brings a strong team dynamic with years of experience and a hunger for victory to the championship field.
• Dingbat: Under the leadership of Bobby Julien, Dingbat is set to challenge for top honors. And he’s cheering on his two sons on YoungBlood and Rated X: “In many ways, I have three ways to win the Worlds,” said Julien.
• Cape Crow Vikings: Håkan Svensson is the visionary and the father behind the class. The Vikings will be representing international sailing talent here in Newport, Rhode Island, USA.
• YoungBlood: Miles Julien leads this youthful and ambitious team, ready to take on the competition.
• Rated X: Jake Julien’s Rated X team brings a fresh approach and determination to the championship. They’ve got nothing to prove, but they’re hungry regardless.
• Gold Digger: Jimmy Prendergast’s Gold Digger team promises to add excitement and intensity to the races with his international team of Olympians and the like: Nicholas Heiner, Leonard Takahashi, Ben Lamb, and Dan Morris.
• Bliksem: John Sommi, chartering Bliksem, rounds out the competitive field, adding depth and a new character to the championship roster.
• Convexity: Led by Don Wilson, the three-time back-to-back world champions will be aiming to maintain dominance in the M32 Class.
• Extreme2: Under the leadership of Dan Cheresh, Extreme² brings a wealth of experience, a firm competitive demeanor, and a taste of revenge to the Worlds.
Source: M32 Class