Game time at Match Racing Worlds
Published on October 23rd, 2017
Eighteen teams have qualified for the final event of the World Match Racing Tour on October 24 to 29 in Shenzhen, China. Up for grabs is the title of 2017 Match Racing World Champion, with 2016 winner and 2017 tour leader Phil Robertson (NZL) eager to retain the trophy.
Racing in the M32 catamarans will take place outside the New Sport Ocean Sports Centre which is located on the sheltered waters of Daya Bay on the east coast of Shenzhen. With temperatures averaging in the low 70s° F and average winds of 10-15 knots, great sailing and spectating is anticipated with the course set close to the shoreline, directly outside the race village.
The 18 teams are divided into three groups which will compete for two days in fleet race qualifying heats to advance the top 16 teams to the match racing knockout rounds.
• Day One and Two – Fleet race Qualifying in Groups. Each Group sails 6-8 races.
• Day Three – Bottom team from each Group compete in a sail-off to decide who moves on to the Super 16 knockout. Top three from each Group join the sail-off winners in a 16 team, first to three-point, knockout. 1v16, 2v15, 3v14 etc.
• Day Four – Sponsor day and remaining races from the Super 16 Knockout.
• Day five – Quarter-Finals and start of Semi-Finals (knockout format).
• Day six – Finish Semi-Finals and complete Final/Petit-Final (knockout format).
2017 World Championship Level Events:
WMRT Match Cup Australia, March 20-25
WMRT Congressional Cup, March 29-April 2
WMRT Match Cup Sweden, July 3-8
WMRT Match Cup Russia, August 1-6
WMRT Match Cup Chicago, September 26-October 1
WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS
WMRT Match Cup China, October 24-29
Background: In 2013, Swedish company Aston Harald AB acquired the design and production rights to the one-design M32 catamarans. In July 2015, Aston Harald AB acquired the World Match Racing Tour, which then began the use of the M32 during the 2016 Tour. Launched in 2000, the World Match Racing Tour is the leading professional match racing series sanctioned by World Sailing.