West Marine Announces 5th Annual Green Product of the Year Award
Published on August 12th, 2013
Watsonville, CA (August 12, 2013) – West Marine (NASDAQ: WMAR), the nation’s largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, is proud to announce its fifth annual Green Product of the Year Award. The contest is accepting entries from the entire U.S., including the District of Columbia, as well as Puerto Rico and Canada (excluding the province of Quebec).
Through the award, West Marine hopes to promote green product development throughout the boating, fishing, sailing and watersports industries. “We are proud to be launching our fifth annual Green Product of the Year contest. We want to encourage and support sustainable innovation in the marine industry,” said Matt Hyde, CEO, West Marine.
The Green Product of the Year is an important component of West Marine’s BlueFuture® initiative to help create a sustainable future for the planet and to protect our waterways. The Green Product of the Year will be announced and the award of $10,000 will be presented to the designated Official Winner at the 2014 Miami International Boat Show.
The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors of boating products. The judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
1) Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
2) Economy: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis (use of the product will save $xx).
3) Environmental Impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Due to the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metric.
4) Degree of Innovation: Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
5) Timing: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2013 or will it be introduced in 2014?
6) Verification of claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entry must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
Participants can enter the contest, as well as view the complete rules and entry requirements, by completing an entry form at westmarine.com/green between August 12, 2013 and November 22, 2013.
About West Marine
West Marine, Inc. is the largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, with nearly 300 company-operated stores located in 38 states, Puerto Rico, Canada and five franchised stores located in Turkey. Founded in 1968 by a sailor, West Marine has grown to become a leading omni-channel retailer for boats and boaters – from power cruisers and sailors to anglers and paddle sports enthusiasts. West Marine also offers gear, apparel and footwear for anyone who enjoys recreational time on or around the water. The company’s Port Supply division is one of the largest wholesale distributors of marine equipment serving boat manufacturers, marine services, commercial vessel operators and government agencies. For more information on West Marine, Inc., and its products and store locations, visit westmarine.com or call 1-800-BOATING (1-800-262-8464). West Marine’s stock is traded on NASDAQ under the symbol WMAR.