Baldwin Cup: Host team tops international team race field
Published on April 6th, 2014
Newport Beach, CA (April 6, 2014) – Under three days of clear skies, very shifty winds and tight competition throughout 132 races, host Newport Harbor Yacht Club’s Thunder team clinched the Baldwin Cup Team Race for the first time in the history of the event with a score of 19 wins and 2 losses.
The regatta used a team format with four on four boats in equalized Harbor 20s with dockside spectating in front of the Newport Harbor Yacht Club. Winning teammembers were Justin Law, Jeff Gordon, Michael Menninger, Reid Vitarelli, Brian Bissell, Kayla McComb, Jon Pinckney, and Commodore Gale Nye Pinckney.
“It feels really good to win, we worked hard and kept training,” said Gayle Nye Pinckney. “I would have to say that stadium-style racing doesn’t get any better than this. We thank all of the competitors, especially those that traveled far to be part of this great event.”
1. Newport Harbor Yacht Club, Thunder
2. Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club, Oyster Bay, N.Y.
3. Southern Yacht Club, New Orleans
4. St. Francis Yacht Club, San Francisco
5. Newport Harbor Yacht Club, Lightning
6. Balboa Yacht Club, Corona del Mar, Calif.
7. Royal Thames Yacht Club, London
8. Seattle Yacht Club, Seattle, Wash.
9. San Diego Yacht Club, San Diego, Calif.
10. New York Yacht Club, N.Y.
11. Yale Corinthian Yacht Club, New Haven, Conn. – See more at:
12. Texas Corinthian Yacht Club, Kemah, Tex.
Source: Event media