Canfield makes Quarter Finals at Stena Match Cup Sweden
Published on July 3rd, 2014
Marstrand, Sweden (July 3, 2014) – The field of 14 teams at Stena Match Cup Sweden was reduced to the top 8 today after the qualifying round was completed at the second event in the 2014 Alpari World Match Racing Tour.
It was a nail biting end which saw Bjorn Hansen and David Gilmour sneak into the Quarter Finals after a 4 way count back which dumped Phil Robertson and Nicolai Sehested out of the competition. At the top of the leaderboard, Ian Williams continued his winning ways and topped Qualifying on 12 points alongside Francesco Bruni. Mathieu Richard, Keith Swinton, Joachim Aschenbrenner and Taylor Canfield make up the mid order to seal the 8 places in the Quarter Finals.
The pick for who races who will take place later today and the Quarter Finals will start at 0930 on Friday.
Stena Match Cup Sweden, Alpari World Match Racing Tour
1. Ian Williams (GBR) GAC Pindar 12-1
2. Francesco Bruni (ITA) Luna Rossa 12-1
3. Mathieu Richard (FRA) LunaJets 8-5
4. Keith Swinton (AUS) Team Alpari FX 8-5
5. Joachim Aschenbrenner (DEN) Team Trifork 7.5-5
6. Taylor Canfield (ISV) USone 7-6
7. Björn Hansen (SWE) Hansen Sailing Team 6-7
8. David Gilmour (ASU) Team Gilmour 6-7
9. Phil Robertson (NZL) Waka Racing 6-7
10. Nicolai Sehested (DEN) Trefor Match Racing 6-7
11. Ed Baird (USA) Quantum Racing 4-9
12. Magnus Holmberg (SWE) Team Magnus Holmberg 3-10
13. Johnie Berntsson (SWE) Stena Sailing Team 2.5-10
14. Viktor Ogeman (SWE) Team Accure 2-11
Background: Stena Match Cup Sweden (June 30-July 5) is the second stop on the seven event World Match Racing Tour (WMRT), the leading professional match racing series sanctioned by the International Sailing Federation (ISAF). Prize money is awarded for each event, with event points culminating in the crowning of the “ISAF Match Racing World Champion”. Tour website: http://www.wmrt.com