Chris Snow’s Bogus leads J/24 US Nationals
Published on May 22nd, 2015
Berkeley, CA (May 22, 2015) – Chris Snow and his team on Bogus gained the early advantage on day 1 of the J/24 US National Championship, hosted by the Berkeley Yacht Club in Berkeley, CA.
Snow, from the San Diego Yacht Club in southern California, has current J/24 World Champion Will Welles among his crew. The team posted a 1,2,3 on Friday. Just two notches behind Bogus is David Klatt’s Jaded of Ventura, CA with 8 points. Tokuma Takesue’s Gekko from Japan stands in third with 12 points. Twenty-five teams are participating in the event.
Snow took control of the opening bout, when winds were between 10-12 knots on San Francisco Bay. Mark Laura’s Baba Louie trailed in second, and Klatt in third. In the next race, it was Takesue’s Gekko in the top spot, as Snow dropped to second and Scott Milne’s Tremendous Slouch completed the top trio. Klatt claimed the victory in Friday’s final contest, followed by Carl Sheath’s Suspence (who subsequently incurred a 20% scoring penalty) and Snow. The breeze increased to 14-16 knots by the start of race 3.
Racing continues through Sunday, May 24.
Day One Standings (Top 10 of 25; 3 races)
1. 5208, Bogus, Chris Snow, SDYC, 1-2-3- ; 6
2. 1892, Jaded, David Klatt, Ventura YC, 3-4-1- ; 8
3. JPN5449, GEKKO, Tokuma Takesue, Japan Sailing Federation, 6-1-5- ; 12
4. 2365, Baba Louie, Mark Laura, SYC, 2-7-4- ; 13
5. USA 5253, 3 Big Dogs, Pat Toole, Santa Barbara YC, 5-5-6- ; 16
6. USA 4906, TMC Racing, Michael Whitfield, Berkeley Yacht Club, 4-6-7- ; 17
7. 3421, Suspence, Carl Sheath, Corinthian Yacht Club, Seattle, 12-9-7/SCP- ; 28
8. USA1898, Critter, James Baurley, SMWYC, 10-11-9- ; 30
9. 5350, Feral Rooster, paul van ravenswaay, severn sailing association, 7-8-20/SCP- ; 35
10. 126, GIGGLES, Natalie Penner, AYC, 18-13-8- ; 39
Report by class media.