Norway wins SAILING Champions League 2015
Published on September 20th, 2015
Porto Cervo, Italy (September 20, 2015) – After three days of thrilling racing, a range of challenging sailing conditions and a host of social events, the Royal Norwegian Yacht Club (Kongelig Norsk Seilforening, KNS) has been crowned victor of the SAILING Champions League 2015 and claimed the title of “Best Sailing Club”. Second place went to the home team representing the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda and Russia’s Yacht Club Navigator took third place.
The event – held in J/70s from 18th to 20th September in Porto Cervo, Sardinia – played host to 30 top sailing clubs from across Europe.
The final day of racing brought a change from the strong mistral breeze that teams had faced over the previous two days. As the wind moved to a more northerly direction and turned lighter and more shifty those competitors who thrive in light airs had a chance to shine in today’s 12 races. There was little hope, however, of ousting the reigning KNS team of Kristoffer Spone, Christen Horn Johannessen, Sigurd Paulsen and Erik Kongshaug who deservedly held on to first place thanks to seven victories and two second places out of 10 flights raced.
“We were a bit excited today, because we didn’t know how it would go,” commented Royal Norwegian skipper Kristoffer Spone, “but now we have the trophy, we are very happy. The level of competition at the SAILING Champions League was very high, so it’s a very good feeling having won against the best clubs in Europe. It has been a terrific event here in Porto Cervo.”
Second-placed Yacht Club Costa Smeralda flew the home flag high by chalking up six victories over the weekend while Yacht Club Navigator of Moscow claimed five wins to take third place overall. YCCS team captain Federico Michetti commented on the Club-centred ethos that is at the heart of the Sailing Champions League concept: “It was an honour to compete here for my club together with the team. These were great races with a superb organization behind them. It’s a format where you can really feel how everyone is fighting for their Club and think that is important.”
“As always our thanks go to everyone who made this event possible: the race committee, jury, umpires and the sponsor Audi as well as all of the teams who travelled from across Europe to participate in this first event in our waters.” commented YCCS Commodore Riccardo Bonadeo during this afternoon’s prize giving ceremony.
In addition to the Robbe & Berking Trophy for the winning Club, trophies were awarded to the second and third-placed yacht clubs. Special prizes were also awarded to the Yacht Club Malta, whose team was entirely composed of members of the same family, and the Royal Danish Yacht Club, who fielded and all-female team.
Final entry list (30 clubs from 14 nations):
– Aarhus Sejlklub, Aarhus, Wild Card – 4th Danish Sailing League 2015
– Aländska Segelsällskapet, Mariehamn, 1st Finnish Sailing League 2015
– Burgenländischer Yacht-Club, Rust, 2nd Austrian Sailing League 2015
– Club Canottieri Roggero di Lauria, Palermo, 1st Italian Sailing League 2015
– Deutscher Touring Yacht-Club, Tutzing, 2nd German Sailing League 2014
– Ekolns Segelklubb, Uppsala, 2nd Swedish Sailing League 2015
– Göteborgs Kungliga Segel Sällskap, Gothenburg, Wild Card 5th Swedish Sailing League 2015
– Hellerup Sejlklub, Hellerup/Copenhagen, 2nd Danish Sailing League 2015
– Jacht Klub Wielkopolski Poznań, Poznań, Wild Card – 3rd Polish Sailing League 2015
– Kongelig Dansk Yachtklub, Copenhagen, Wild Card – Champion 2014
– Kongelig Norsk Seilforening, Oslo, Norwegian Sailing League
– Kungliga Svenska Segelsällskapet, Saltsjöbaden/Stockholm, 1st Swedish Sailing League 2015
– Norddeutscher Regatta Verein, Hamburg, 1st German Sailing League 2014
– PIRogovo Yacht Club, Moscow, 1st Act 1 Russian Sailing League 2015
– Regattaclub Oberhofen, Oberhofen/Thun, 1st Swiss Sailing League 2015
– Royal Malta Yacht Club, Valletta, Wild Card
– Royal Thames Yacht Club, London, UK Sailing League
– Segelclub TWV Achensee, Maurach, Wild Card
– 3rd Austrian Sailing League 2015 – Seglervereinigung Itzehoe, Itzehoe, Wild Card
– 4th German Sailing League 2014 – Skovshoved Sejlklub, Skovshoved, 1st Danish Sailing League 2015
– Société des Régates Rochelaises, La Rochelle, Wild Card
– Società Velica di Barcola e Grignano, Trieste, 2nd Italian Sailing League 2015
– Société Nautique de Genève, Geneve, 2nd Swiss Sailing League 2015
– Stavanger Seilforening, Stavanger, Norwegian Sailing League
– Verein Seglerhaus am Wannsee, Berlin, 3rd German Sailing League 2014
– WaterSportVereniging Almere, Almere/Amsterdam, Dutch Sailing League
– Yacht Club Bregenz, Bregenz, 1st Austrian Sailing League 2015
– Yacht Club Costa Smeralda, Porto Cervo, Wild Card
– Hosting Club – Yacht Club Navigator, Moscow, 1st Act 2 Russian Sailing League