Flojito y Cooperando Wins J/70 North Americans
Published on May 22nd, 2016
Seabrook, TX (May 22, 2016) – Julian Fernandez Neckelmann’s Flojito y Cooperando won the first race of the Torqeedo J/70 North American Championship and withstood an onslaught of challengers over seven races to earn the trophy. The reigning J/70 World Champion, Neckelmann was joined by crew Willem van Waay, Bill Hardesty and Danel Belausteguigoitia at the event hosted by Lakewood Yacht Club.
Able to discard a 13 in race 5, Flojito y Cooperando kept scores of 1,3,1,11,1,3 for 20 net points. The next five teams juggled standings all weekend, but with the victory in today’s only contest, Glenn Darden’s Hoss leapt into second place with 30 points (Darden is the current J/70 Midwinter Champion).
Peter Duncan’s Relative Obscurity benefited from a second today to move into third overall with 32 points. Robert Hughes’ Heartbreaker snagged fourth (34 points), and then Bruce Golison’s Midlife Crisis and Bruno Pasquinelli’s Stampede tied at 37 for the next spots. The 10-boat Corinthian division was ruled by Jack Franco’s 3 Ball JT, who finished 11th overall.
“It was just a very tough weekend with complicated conditions for them to run races,” noted Neckelmann. “The Race Committee did an outstanding job.” Expect to see Flojito y Cooperando at the J/70 World Championship this fall in San Francisco. “I’m just very happy to be sailing J/70s,” Neckelmann said with a smile. “It’s a lot of fun, and the Class is going the right way. We’ll keep growing and having big fleets.”
Racing at the North Americans was on May 19 to 22.
Final Results (Top 10 of 39; 7 races, 1 discard)
1. Flojito y Cooperando, Julian Fernandez Neckelmann [Open], (MEX), 1-3-1-11--1-3- ; 20
2. Hoss, Glenn Darden [Open], (USA), -4-3-3-10-9-1- ; 30
3. Relative Obscurity, Peter Duncan [Open], (USA), 14-7-2--2-5-2- ; 32
4. Heartbreaker, Robert Hughes [Open], (USA), 4-9--7-3-7-4- ; 34
5. Midlife Crisis, Bruce Golison [Open], (USA), 2-1-5-16-5-8-- ; 37T
6. Stampede, Bruno Pasquinelli [Open], (USA), 10-8-4-5-1--9- ; 37T
7. Scamp, Will Welles [Open], (USA), -16-10-2-9-6-6- ; 49
8. Cloud Nine, Phil Haegler [Open], (BRA), 5-10--1-7-20-13- ; 56
9. Savasana, Brian Keane [Open], (USA)b, 16--15-9-4-3-18- ; 65
10. Hooligan Flat Stanley Racing, Trey Sheehan [Open], (USA), 9-5-14--17-11-14- ; 70
Source: J/70 Class