29er US Nationals Gets Underway
Published on June 28th, 2016
Newport, RI (June 28, 2016) – Racing began today at the US 29er National Championship for 35 teams hailing from all corners of the US as well as Canada, Bermuda, Antigua, Virgin Islands, and New Zealand. Today’s conditions were moderate to light with three races taking place just off Goat Island.
Sitting at the top of the leaderboard is the California duo of Neil Marcellini and Ian Brill. Sisters Alie and Liza Toppa (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) are the top female boat in 4th place overall.
Hosted by Sail Newport, the nationals has drawn a record turnout for 29er sailing in the Northeast. The fleet also boasts nine all-female teams and a number of newcomers to the fleet. Racing continues through Thursday, June 30.
Day One Standings (Top 10 of 35; 3 races)
1. USA 2404, Neil Marcellini/Ian Brill, Lafayette, California, USA, 6-3-2- ; 11
2. USA 994, Peter Joslin/Jack Joslin, San Diego, CA, USA, 3-8-4- ; 15
3. USA 1998, David Eastwood/Wells Drayton, Santa Barbara, CA, USA, 7-12-3- ; 22
4. USA 2186, Alie Toppa/Liza Toppa, Newport, RI, USA, 18-4-6- ; 28
5. 2296, Charlie Hibben/CJ McKenna, Concord, Massachusetts, USA, 4-15-10- ; 29T
6. USA 5253, Hannah Steadman/Gabby Rizika, Saint Petersburg, Florida, USA, 12-9-8- ; 29T
7. ISV 111, Teddy Nicolosi/Ian Barrows, St Thomas, VI, ISV, 14-6-13- ; 33T
8. CAN 2452, Galen Richardson/Louis Riel-Brockie, Toronto, Ontario, CAN, 11-10-12- ; 33T
9. NZL 702, Greta Stewart/Kate Stewart, Hamiltion, Bermuda, NZL, 27-7-1- ; 35T
10. USA 1471, Nicholas Hardy/Ben Rosenberg, Newton, MA, USA, 8-16-11- ; 35T
Full results are available at http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/12016#_newsroom