Ten teams vie for College Match Racing Nationals
Published on November 8th, 2017
The Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association will have its Match Racing National Championship on November 10-12, hosted by College of Charleston in Charleston, SC. The event, inaugurated in 1972 as the Sloop Championship, was changed in 2010 to a Match Race format that will bring together ten teams which advanced from their conference qualifiers to vie for the title.
Racing in J/22s on the east side of the Cooper River, teams of three or four (max crew weight: 660 lbs) will face off in a round robin and repechage round to advance the top eight teams for the knockout rounds, with teams progressing in best of three matches until the final two teams compete in a best of five championship bout.
Georgetown’s Sean Segerblom ’20, a member of the 2016 winning team, takes over as skipper in a bid to defend, but Charleston’s 2015 winner Christophe Killian ’18 will be seeking to close out his college career with a win on his home court.
Competing teams by conference:
MAISA (Middle Atlantic)
• Georgetown: Sean Segerblom, Roger Dorr, Jack Chrysler, Meaghan MacRae
• US Naval Academy: Jimmy Madigan, James Morgan, Nicholas Gartner, Emma Remis
• U. of Michigan: Mason Wolters, Lane Tobin, Mike Gapuz, Colton Gerber
NEISA (New England)
• Boston College: Charles Sinks, Wade Waddell, Tara Ferraris, Peter Lynn
• Bowdoin: William Hawk, Matt Stafford, Marie Bergsund, Alden Grimes
• U. of Washington: Connor Hughes, Hayden Potter, Karl Skeel, Farzana Mohamedali, David Furst
PCCSC (Pacific Coast)
• Stanford: Romain Screve, Elena VandenBerg, Jack Parkin
SAISA (South Atlantic)
• Charleston: Christophe Killian, Jack Thompson, Stefano Peschiera, Elizabeth Pemberton
• U. of South Florida: Sean Cornell, Brendan Feeney, Rachel Yannelli, Scott Ewing
• Texas A&M (Galveston): John Hanna, Raya Fortenberry, Alex Schwinn, Ian Beck
Event details: http://2017matchrace.collegesailing.org