Balling for Bragging Rights
Published on March 22nd, 2018
It’s another busy weekend for the 2018 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, which means the trash talking in the Scuttleball pool is getting serious.
While the Scuttlebutt editor is closer to DFL than the champagne, here are the top sailors entering the Sweet 16 that have proven they can ball, and the team they think will cut down the nets on April 2:
1. Steve Lovendahl – Kansas
2. Patrick Hooper – Villanova
3. Todd Hiller – Virginia
4. Ted Kaczmarski – Kansas
5. Chris Kiergan – Purdue
6. Kris Matthews – Villanova
7. Bill Wiggins – Villanova
7 Papa Frost – Villanova
9. Larry MacDonald – Villanova
10. Morgan Everson – Virginia
Yes, Virginia is gone so expect a shuffle. Scuttleball fame is fleeting. Special recognition goes to Chris Carrol in 25th as the top baller who has the Gonzaga Bulldogs winning it all. As the beloved team at Scuttlebutt HQ, #zagnation loves you.
But don’t forget about the Greatest American Sailing Regatta in which US Sailing assembled 16 of the most popular sailing regattas in the U.S. and seeded the events in a tournament bracket.
After the first round ended March 21, the Elite Eight is now in play and the scoreboard is taking shape:
• World Cup Series Miami is leading Annapolis NOOD
• Chicago Mac is leading Transpac
• Charleston RW is leading Orange Bowl International Youth Regatta
• Newport Bermuda is leading Block Island RW
This next round of voting ends March 26. To vote… click here.