Starck leads Lightning Midwinters
Published on March 29th, 2018
Miami, FL (March 29, 2018) – In a stark repeat of conditions from day 1, day 2 of the Lightning Midwinter Championship completed three competitive races to bring the series total to six, and see the leaders extend slightly.
David Starck with brother Tom and Jenna Probst scored a 2,2,1 on the day to create 3 points of separation between themselves and the second place Argentine team of Conte, Alsogaray, and Salerno. Tito Gonzalez moved into third place outright.
In race one, Javier Conte started pin third and used his upwind speed to lead at the first windward mark. He and his team extended on the run and picked up their first of two race wins on the day.
In race two, Conte again found favorable shift on the left side of the course and used exceptional downwind speed to pull away from the fleet and close David Starck’s lead to one point.
It was Starck, however, who claimed race three, and with it, the series lead. Ched Proctor took an early lead, and Javier Conte also found moments at the front, but Starck put the moves on Conte at the top of the second beat and maintained this lead on the run.
Slightly lighter breeze is forecasted for tomorrow, but with 2 to 3 races scheduled, anything may still happen with a tight fleet at the top and competitive racing.
Event Details – Results – Facebook
Standings (Top 5 of 29; 6 races, 1 discard)
1. David Starck / Tom Starck / Jenna Probst , USA –  -1 -1 -2 -2 -1 ; 7
2. Javier Conte / Julio Alsogaray / Paula Salerno , ARG – 4 -2 - -1 -1 -3 ; 11
3. Tito Gonzalez / Trini Gonzalez / Alberto Gonzalez Jr , CHI – 2 -3 - -4 -3 -4 ; 16
4. Ched Proctor / Jeff Eiber / Carol Cronin , USA – 5 -5 -2 -3 - -2 ; 17
5. Todd Wake / Kristine Wake / Doug Wake , USA –  -4 -3 -6 -5 -5 ; 23
2018 Lightning Southern Circuit
• March 24-26 – Winter Championship – St Petersburg, FL
• March 28-30 – Midwinter Regatta – Miami, FL
Source: Doug Wake