The Race of Their Lives
Published on October 15th, 2018
Maéva Bardy, an on board video-journalist for the Clipper 2017-18 Round the World Yacht Race, shares her insight and behind-the-scenes footage of her experience while capturing footage for an award-winning TV documentary series ‘The Race of Their Lives’.
In total, 712 people representing 41 different nationalities and from all walks of life took part in the 11th edition of the 40,000 nautical mile race.
Final Overall Results
1. Sanya Serenity Coast – 143 points
2. Visit Seattle – 139 points
3. Qingdao – 135 points
4. Garmin – 125 points
5. PSP Logistics – 121 points
6. UNICEF – 108 points
7. Dare To Lead – 106 points
8. Great Britain – 90 points
9. Liverpool 2018 – 79 points
10. Hotelplanner.com – 69 points
11. NASDAQ – 61 points
Event details – Race facts – Race viewer – Facebook
Background: Held biennially, the Clipper 2017-18 Round the World Yacht Race got underway August 20 for the fleet of twelve* identical Tony Castro designed Clipper 70s. The 40,000nm course is divided into 13 individual races with the team having the best cumulative score winning the Clipper Race Trophy. The race concludes in Liverpool on July 28.
Each team is led by a professional skipper with an all-amateur crew that signs up for one, some, or all the races. The 2017-18 race, expected to take 11 months, has attracted 712 people representing 41 nationalities, making it the largest to date.
* Twelve teams began the first leg but one yacht (Greenings) ran aground just hours after the start on October 31 of the third leg from Cape Town, South Africa to Fremantle, Australia. The crew was safely evacuated but damage to the boat was deemed too extensive for it to continue in the 2017-18 edition.
Race Route – Race Schedule and Miles
Source: Clipper Ventures