Trying to remain continuous in 2020

Published on May 5th, 2020

There are two approaches to the 2020 racing calendar: You can see what you can salvage, or you fully pull the handbrake and revise the plan to something simpler that fits within health guidelines.

While hitting abort provides a clearer path forward, the organizers for the 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race are seeking to salvage what they can of their annual distance course up the lake.

Here’s an update from race chairman Chris Clark for the July 11 start of what Bayview Yacht Club (Detroit, MI) calls ‘The World’s Longest Continuously Run Long Distance Freshwater Yacht Race’:


It is likely that Mackinac Island will start opening in the 3rd week of June. This is three weeks before the 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race and is adequate time for us to run the Race. Due to this compressed timing there will be some required adjustments.

1) Social activities on the island will be scaled back. What does this mean? I do not know. We are working with the Grand Hotel and will make an announcement clarifying the social activities on the island.

2) The Blue Water Festival on July 9-10 in Port Huron was canceled last month. This does not impact the racers access to the docks in Port Huron. We are coordinating with the harbor master in Port Huron.

3) The Amended and Restated NOR has been posted on the race website. Overall, the impact of these NOR changes do the following:

a. Cove Island Mark will not be set this year and the mark will be virtual. Tracked by Yellowbrick.

b. It allows the race to be finished and times entered for scoring by Yellowbrick. We will still have people at the finish line auditing Yellowbrick.

c. Removed reference to locations on Mackinac Island for activities. Locations will be updated on the race website as the information becomes available.

d. Allow the Race Committee to consolidate the Cove Island and Shore Course and have the entire fleet sail the Shore Course. This will not be a last-minute decision, but we do not know when the decision will be made. This will be based on entries.

4) I recognize that this timing may not work for everyone. Some people may not be able to work the logistics of what is effectively three weeks of final notice before the start of the race. With that said please:

a. If you can work with this timing it is critical you complete your entry.
b. If you can work with this timing it is critical you apply for your appropriate 2020 ORR or ORR-ez certificate.
c. Confirm your reservations on Mackinac Island.
d. If you cannot work with this timing please formally withdraw your entry. Given that we need to scale the activities to those that will be doing the race we need to know how many boats will be sailing.

5) I recognize that this timing may not work for all of our volunteers.

For ‘Frequently Asked Questions’, click here.

Tags: ,



Back to Top ↑

Get Your Sailing News Fix!

Your daily or weekly download by email.

Subscribe - In popup

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

We’ll keep your information safe.