A plan to offer a purposeful outing
Published on May 20th, 2020
As the first USA state to go full lockdown, Californians have been living on a short leash during the coronavirus pandemic since March 17. For San Diego (CA) sailors, that included a boating ban for three weeks in April.
But the bay reopened April 27, and as the region begins to activate its business community, organized racing will have its first attempt on May 23 with the ‘Race Your Household‘ organized by the Cortez Racing Association (CRA).
CRA is the grassroots organization for the region, operating with no facility but full of passion to provide low key events within the madness of San Diego Bay. Every area needs a CRA, and they are the perfect host to offer a purposeful outing during these uncertain times. Here’s their plan:
• This race is an open, non-spinnaker event utilizing arbitrary handicaps.
• Boating is currently permitted only with your household members. Only same household crews will be allowed to participate. Racing will be abandoned for non-compliance.
• All participants must wear PFDs at all times.
• Sailboats sailing a similar course should take a conservative tactic to avoid any close quarter maneuvers to minimize collisions or prolonged entanglement.
• All competitors shall have a face mask on hand for immediate use.
• All boats will carry an operational VHF radio.
• Only sailboats that are capable of self-rescue are allowed.
• All persons on board must be registered in the Regatta Network system for documentation of participation as a household.
• Boats complete their registration with radio check-in (VHF 68).
• There is no charge for this race.
One race around government marks within San Diego Bay is scheduled with the starting and finishing line between the PRO wearing an orange vest in a 13-foot dinghy and the orange, robotic MarkSetBot (motorized GPS mark).
The classes are non-spinnaker and the starting order is as follows:
• Double-handed household
• Three or more household
• Multi-hull households
Results will be posted online for the only prize: bragging rights.