Details for Annapolis to Newport Race
Published on December 31st, 2020
The Notice of Race for the 2021 Annapolis to Newport Race is available for the 38th biennial edition of the Race, which originated in 1947. Starts for the 473 nm course will take place on June 4 and 5. In order to deal with the complications of COVID-19, the Race Authority offers this update to the format:
• Given the current public health climate in Maryland and Rhode Island, we are unable to commit to the social components of the event at this time, including the pre-start All Hands Competitors’ Party at Annapolis Yacht Club, and the Hospitality Tent and Awards Party in Newport, RI. The resulting good news is that gives us the opportunity to significantly reduce the entry fee to a flat $700 per boat, if paid by March 15th. By comparison, a 40-foot boat paid a $1,400 entry fee in 2019. The popular social events of the race are still on our radar and if the public health situation improves, we may be able to add some or all to the schedule. Social events will be charged on a per person basis, separately from the entry fee.
• Entry fees are fully refundable if the race is cancelled, or a boat withdraws on or before May 21st.
• The registration process has been streamlined so that all entry requirements or paperwork can be completed online, by email or fax, so that only a quick, socially distanced visit to Annapolis Yacht Club to pick up the YB tracker will be required.
• Trophies will be awarded via a virtual Awards Presentation if we are unable to host an in-person event.
• Our very popular seminar series on boat and crew preparation will be presented virtually via Zoom Webinar. The first seminar on Sails, Rigging and Electronics is scheduled for Saturday, February 20th at 1000 EST. Click here to register.
In 2021 we will be offering starts for boats rated under the ORC and PHRF rules, including an ORC Double Handed division and a Classic Yacht division rated under PHRF. The Organizing Authority will also give strong consideration to including additional divisions if there is sufficient interest expressed.
Some good things remain the same:
• As in the past several races, there will be two starts, with the slower ORC and PHRF boats and the Double Handed division starting on Friday, June 4th and the faster boats on Saturday, June 5th.
• All boats will sail the offshore course, leaving the Chesapeake and rounding Chesapeake Light Tower.
• We will provide a truck to transport your gear to and from Newport.
• Arrangements have been made for discounted dockage at Newport Yachting Center.