Race committee has its privileges
Published on January 16th, 2021
Sailboat racing doesn’t occur without race committee members. While this seem to be a thankless job, there are many benefits as detailed by the Inland Lake Yachting Association:
• Pay: Exceptional satisfaction, ideal working environment (despite rain, inclement weather, physical or mental breakdown)
• Meals: Free lunch, prepared by the best cooks in the Midwest (just don’t expect it on time)
• Transportation: Included, at least on the water for racing
• Uniform allowance: None, just buy white and khaki/navy this Spring. It’s such a good look. Protective gear required but not provided – sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, rain/wind gear
• Fun: The best peers imaginable. And here is the honest truth – friendships are developed on RC just like the race course.
• Age requirements: Some say active AARP card is essential; that is a falsehood
• Action guaranteed: RC has the best vantage point to view mark roundings, exceptional tactics, watch sail trim and boat handling at its best. It is a birdseye view of sailing at its best!