WMRT Academy partners with RS Sailing
Published on March 23rd, 2021
The World Match Racing Tour Academy, founded in 2021 as a global initiative to grow the appeal and participation in match racing through accessible training facilities and educational programs, has secured a specially commissioned charter package of RS21 keelboats which can be used for training programs and match racing events. The only academy confirmed, Oakcliff Sailing (Oyster Bay, NY), will be using their fleet of Match 40s for the program. – Details
The 2021 WMRT season will comprise of ‘World Tour’ events and ‘World Championship’ events. All events are organized under World Sailing rules as Open match racing events, allowing both men and women skippers, as well as mixed teams to compete. ‘World Championship’ level events award higher points to the WMRT leader-board, and prize money of at least USD75,000.
Skippers will count their best four results from the tour towards the WMRT 2021 leaderboard. The top 10 to 12 skippers on the leaderboard after the penultimate event will qualify to compete at the new WMRT Final hosted by the Shenzhen Bao’an Match Cup in China.
The WMRT Final will carry a points multiplier of x 1.5 points and an event purse of USD200,000. The skipper with the highest number of points on the leaderboard after the WMRT Final will be crowned WMRT Match Racing World Champion.
2021 World Match Racing Tour Schedule:
1. Szczecin Match Race, Poland, 30 April – 2 May
2. Porto Montenegro Match Race, 7-9 May
3. NJK Open Spring Cup, Finland, 21-23 May
4. GKKS Spring Cup, Gothenburg, Sweden, 29-30 May
5. GKSS MATCH CUP MARSTRAND*, Marstrand, Sweden, 6-10 July
6. Internationaux de France Match Racing, Pornichet, 29 July – 4 August
7. The Chicago Cup, 6-8 August
8. International Match Race for the Detroit Cup, 19-22 August
9. Baltic Match Race, Estonia, 25-29 August
10. Oakcliff International, Oyster Bay NY, 27-30 August
11. Thompson Cup, Oyster Bay NY, 1-4 September
12. Ficker Cup, Long Beach USA, 9-12 September
13. Match Race Germany, Lake Constance, 8-12 September
14. THE CONGRESSIONAL CUP REGATTA*, Long Beach USA, 14-19 September
15. DBS Marina Bay Cup, Singapore 30 Sept-3 Oct
16. BERMUDA GOLD CUP*, 27 Sept – 2 Oct
17. SHENZHEN BAO’AN MATCH CUP, WMRT FINAL* Shenzhen, China, 15-19 December
*WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP EVENTS
For more information on the World Match Racing Tour, visit www.wmrt.com
Founded in 2000, the World Match Racing Tour (WMRT) promotes the sport of match racing around the world and is the longest running global professional series in the sport of sailing. The World Tour represents a series of independently organised and officially sanctioned match racing events.
The WMRT is awarded ‘Special Event’ status by the sport’s world governing body – World Sailing – and the winner of the WMRT each year is crowned World Sailing Match Racing World Champion.
Previous Champions include Bertrand Pace (FRA), Sir Ben Ainslie (GBR), Jesper Radich (DEN), Magnus Holmberg (SWE), Peter Holmberg (ISV), Peter Gilmour (AUS), Ian Williams (GBR), Adam Minoprio (NZL), Taylor Canfield (ISV), Phil Robertson (NZL) and Torvar Mirsky (AUS).
The WMRT is a match racing competition with racing taking place in identically supplied racing yachts which change for each event and which place a firm focus on teamwork, strategy and skill. Racing takes place close to shore to create stadium-style viewing for spectators.
Since 2000, the World Match Racing Tour and its events have awarded over USD23million in prize money to sailors which has helped to contribute to the career pathway of many of today’s professional sailors. www.wmrt.com