Seventeen TP52s for opener in Spain
Published on July 8th, 2021
Seventeen TP52s will meet August 24-28 on the Bay of Palma to celebrate 20 years of the enduring international box-rule class at the Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week & TP52 20th Anniversary Invitational in in Mallorca, Spain.
The five-day event will welcome back nine 52 SUPER SERIES teams after the pandemic cancelled the 2020 season. They will be joined by an additional eight teams with older boats that are entered in the TP52 20th Anniversary Invitational which between them span almost the entire history of design generations that have been active in the Mediterranean.
From the original Aifos, which was one of the “founder members” of the TP52 Mediterranean fleet, through to Karl Kwok’s successful Beau Geste designed as the Brazilian-flagged Onda for the 2018 circuit, the fleet, which will race under IRC handicap, will be a fascinating reminder of the evolution and the popularity of the class in Europe.
TP52 20th Anniversary Invitational Fleet (Team, Owner, Nation, Designer):
• AIFOS 500 – Ricardo Alvarez-Maldonado Parames (ESP, Farr 2005)
• AIR IS BLUE – Roberto Monti (ITA, Judel Vrolijk, built in 2008 as Audi Q8)
• AROBAS – Gérard Logel (FRA, Botín, built in 2009 as CAM from ETNZ mould)
• BEAU GESTE – Karl Kwok (CHN, Botin Partners, built in 2018 as Onda)
• BLUE CARBON – Toni Guiu (ESP, Botin Carkeek, built in 2005 as Balearia)
• MACCHIA MEDITERRANEA – Giampero Russo (ITA, Reichel Pugh, built in 2008 as Artemis)
• XIO – Marco Serafini (ITA, Botín Partners, built in 2011 as Quantum Racing)
• ZERO EMISSION – Samuli Leisti (FIN, Reichel Pugh, built in 2008 as USA-17 / Oracle)
The invitational fleet will feature many top international crews as well as semi-professionals and amateurs who are keen to not just benchmark themselves against the top 52 SUPER SERIES teams but to also enjoy the unique atmosphere of Puerto Portals, a venue which has hosted and supported the Mediterranean TP52 fleet since the inaugural year of the MedCup in 2005.
“What a way to return to TP52 racing!” said Class Manager Rob Weiland. “We were sorry this could not happen last year when it was the actual 20th anniversary, but here we are with an exciting regatta that should be an enjoyable reminder of all that is great about TP52 racing. I hope it will inspire some teams to join us during the rest of this season or next year.”
The 52 SUPER SERIES teams had planned for a shortened 4-event 2021 schedule which got even shorter when the first event on July 13-17 in Valencia, Spain was cancelled.
52 SUPER SERIES Fleet (Team, Owner, Nation):
• Alegre – Andy Soriano (GBR)
• Bronenosec – Vladimir Liubomirov (RUS)
• Gladiator – Tony Langley (GBR)
• Interlodge — Austin & Gwen Fragomen (USA)
• Phoenix – Hasso Plattner (RSA)
• Platoon – Harm Müller-Spreer (GER)
• Provezza – Ergin Imre (TUR)
• Quantum Racing – Doug DeVos (USA)
• Sled – Takashi Okura (USA)
Racing will run from August 24 to 28. The Invitational and 52 SUPER SERIES fleets will race on the same courses with different start times, but there will be racing for the combined fleet on August 23 for the Official Practice Race and on August 27 for separate trophies.
Editor’s note: This report originally stated how 17 boats was the biggest ever fleet of TP52s which proved to be untrue as there had been bigger fleets during the early days of the MedCup Series.
July 13-17 – Royal Cup 52 SUPER SERIES Valencia Mar (CANCELLED)
August 24-28 – Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week & TP52 20th Anniversary Invitational
September 28-October 2 – Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week
November 2-6 – Rolex TP52 World Championship RCNP
Following the cancellation of the 2020 season due to COVID-19, the abbreviated 2021 schedule will be the ninth edition of the 52 SUPER SERIES which was established as the world’s leading grand prix monohull yacht racing circuit.
Source: 52 Super Series