Progelhof wins J/22 Worlds
Published on July 23rd, 2021
Corpus Christi, TX (July 23, 2021) – Jeff Progelhof’s Schitzen Giggles went wire to wire to secure the title of 2021 J/22 World Championship, racing J/22 hull #24. With crew Paul Foerster (former J/22 World Champion) and Rod Favela, the Rush Creek Yacht Club-based team tallied just 21 points in nine races, including one discard (1-1-1-6-2-4--2-4).
Travis Odenbach’s Honeybadger put together a solid four days on Corpus Christi Bay to earn second place with 24 points. Mike Marshall’s Pressure Drop won both of Friday’s races in winds of 15-18 knots for third place overall at 26 points. Forty-two teams representing 14 states competed from July 20-23 in Corpus Christi, TX.
Progelhof credited great teamwork and a fast boat, noting that Foerster was actually a recent crew replacement due to an injury among an original team member. “We were really moving fast upwind and keeping the boat as flat as possible through the waves,” he summarized. “We come down to Corpus a lot. It’s a fabulous place to sail, great wind and good waves.”
1. Schitzen Giggles, Jeff Progelhof, Rush Creek Yacht Club, 1-1-1-6-2-4--2-4- ; 21
2. Honeybadger, Travis Odenbach, Rochester Yacht Club, 2-2-4-3--2-5-4-2- ; 24
3. Pressure Drop, Mike Marshall, New York Yacht Club, 6-6-3-2--5-2-1-1- ; 26
4. Baby Doll, Glenn Darden, Fort Worth Boat Club, 9-9-[43/DSQ]-1-1-10-1-3-3- ; 37
5. The Jug 4 1, Christopher Doyle, Youngstown Yacht Club, 10-4-8-5--1-6-8-6- ; 48