Skunked at Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES
Published on October 1st, 2021
Menorca, Spain (October 1, 2021) – With no racing possible due to a lack of wind today, Harm Müller-Spreer’s Platoon team go into the final day of the Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week with a lead of two points.
“There was no wind because of the cloud and storm activity around but we did the right thing to go out and wait as the forecast is not always right and so we need to try,” said Nacho Postigo, navigator of Provezza . “It was under six knots all the time and the wind direction was moving around a lot. And under the circumstances it was right to come in when we did.”
The forecast for tomorrow expects the calms to continue but sees the best breeze possible for later in the day.
The final regatta of the season, the Rolex TP52 World Championships is set for the first week of November in Palma and is looming large on the horizon. While the focus in Menorca is on the regatta title, the top of the circuit standings are extremely tight with just one point separating Platoon and Quantum Racing – who are tied on 46 points – from Sled and Alegre both on 47.
Racing is planned for September 28 to October 2.
Day Four Standings:
1. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) (4,3,6,4,1) 18 p
2. Alegre (USA/GBR) (Andrés Soriano) (1,1,1,7,10) 20 p
3. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) (11,4,4,2,2) 23 p
4. Bronenosec (RUS) (Vladimir Liubomirov) (2,dnf-12,2, 3, 3 [+2]) 24 p
5. Phoenix (RSA) (Tony Norris) (3,7,3,5,6) 24 p
6. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) (5,8,7,1,4) 25 p
7. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) (8,2,8,6,11) 35 p
8. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) (6,9,9,10,5) 39 p
9. Interlodge (USA) (Austin Fragomen) (7,10,5,8,9) 39 p
10. THA 72 Vāyu (THAI) Whitcraft (THAI) (10,5,10,11,7) 43 p
11. Paprec (FRA) Jean-Luc Petithuguenin (9,6,11,9,8) 43 p
Series information – Race details – Facebook
2021 52 SUPER SERIES (after one event)
1. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) 22 points
2. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) 23 pts
3. Phoenix (RSA) (Toni Norris) 26 pts
4. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) 27 pts
5. Alegre (USA/GBR) (Andrés Soriano) 27 pts
6. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) 28 pts
7. Bronenosec Gazprom (RUS) (Vladimir Liubomirov) 30 pts
8. Interlodge (USA) (Austin Fragomen) 37 pts
9. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) 50 pts
July 13-17 – Royal Cup 52 SUPER SERIES Valencia Mar (CANCELLED)
August 24-28 – Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week & TP52 20th Anniversary Invitational
September 28-October 2 – Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week
November 2-6 – Rolex TP52 World Championship RCNP
Following the cancellation of the 2020 season due to COVID-19, the abbreviated 2021 schedule will be the ninth edition of the 52 SUPER SERIES which was established as the world’s leading grand prix monohull yacht racing circuit.
Source: 52 Super Series