France hosts Women’s Match Racing Worlds
Published on October 27th, 2021
The 2021 Women’s Match Racing World Championship will be held October 28-31 in Normandy, France. Eight teams from Finland, France, Netherlands, Sweden, and UK will compete in J/80s. The event shifted to France after the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron – now hosts of the 2022 edition – was forced to withdraw due to pandemic-related travel restrictions.
The skippers are:
• Pauline Courtois (FRA) – Rank 1
• Anna Östling (SWE) – Rank 2
• Marinella Laaksonnen (FIN) – Rank 5
• Octavia Owen (GBR) – Rank 9
• Margot Riou (FRA) – Rank 10
• Renée Groeneveld (NED) – Rank 15
• Sanna Matsson (SWE) – Rank 21
• Kenza Coutard (FRA) – Wild Card
Prior to the 2020 edition which was cancelled, Lucy Macgrego (GBR) won the 2019 Women’s Match Racing World Championship, her third consecutive world title.
The Women’s Match Racing Worlds is an annual event which began in 1999 in Genoa, Italy. Skippers are invited to attend the Championship based on their World Sailing World Match Racing Ranking position.