USA plan for 2022 Youth World Champs
Published on October 28th, 2021
US Sailing has released their selection procedures for 2022 Youth Sailing World Championships which outlines the criteria and qualification to make the USA team for the 51st Youth Sailing World Championship to be held July 8-15 in The Hague, The Netherlands.
US Sailing’s International Selection Committee (ISC) will select one eligible prospective athlete in each of the single-handed classes and one team of two eligible prospective athletes for each of the double-handed classes to represent their country.
The USA qualification events to the 2022 Youth Sailing World Championships will be conducted with the following equipment:
• Boy’s One Person Dinghy – ILCA 6
• Girl’s One Person Dinghy – ILCA 6
• Mixed or Boys’ Two Person Dinghy – i420
• Girls’ Two Person Dinghy – i420
• Boys’ Skiff – 29er
• Girls’ Skiff – 29er
• Mixed Multihull – Nacra 15
• Boy’s Windsurfer – iQFoil*
• Girl’s Windsurfer — iQFoil*
• Boy’s Kites – Formula Kite
• Girl’s Kites – Formula Kite
*Note: The Windsurfer equipment for the 2022 Youth Worlds has not been confirmed. US Sailing’s International Selection Committee (ISC) will use iQFoil events for US athlete selection.
Selection will be based on a two-event qualification system as described below:
• First Event (for ILCA 6, Nacra15, iQFoil, Formula Kite)
US Open Sailing Series-Clearwater | Feb. 4-6, 2022 | Clearwater Yacht Club, Clearwater, FL
• First Event (for 29er, i420)
Midwinters East | Feb. 19-21, 2022 | Miami Yacht Club, Miami, FL
• Second Event (for ILCA 6)
Laser Midwinters West | Mar. 25-27, 2022 | California YC, Marina del Rey, CA
• Second Event (for all other classes)
ODP Midwinters West | Mar. 25-27, 2022 | Alamitos Bay Yacht Club, Long Beach, CA
For the Selection Procedures, click here.
To learn more about the 2022 event, click here.