Countdown to 2023 Pan Am Games
Published on October 24th, 2023
As the winningest country in Pan American Games sailing history with 88 medals since 1951, 19 American athletes (9 men, 10 women) will take to the waters of Algarrobo for the Santiago 2023 Pan American Games, with racing on October 28 to November 4 in Algarrobo, Chile.
The USA will have representatives in all 13 events, with the program including nine of the ten Olympic sailing classes (excluding the Mixed 470) and four non-Olympic classes (Snipe, Lightning, and Men’s and Women’s Sunfish). Of the 13 events, five are for Men, five are for Women, and three are Mixed.
As a continental multi-sport event in the Americas, Conner Blouin (Charleston, SC) is heading into his third consecutive Pan American Games as the men’s Sunfish representative, and is hungry for the podium after two fourth place finishes in the 2015 and 2019 editions.
“Winning a medal at this Games has been my biggest goal over the last four years,” said Blouin. “My approach has revolved around a diverse and consistent sailing style and a strong fitness program. It’s been hard to fully prepare the last couple of months while coaching at the College of Charleston, but I hope the experience I have will shine through!”
Beyond Pan Am medals is entry to the Paris 2024 Olympics, with the following results needed to qualify the USA for Paris 2024:
• Men’s iQFOiL – must finish as top North American country
• Women’s iQFOiL – must either finish as top North American country or as the top North American finisher after Mexico
• Men’s Kite – must finish as top North American country
• ILCA 7 – must finish as first or second North American country
• Nacra 17 – must finish as top North American country
USA is already qualified in the Women’s Kite, 49er, 49erFX, and ILCA 6.
“We’ve historically performed well at the Pan American Games and the six athletes who have Olympic country qualification on the line have been putting in the work to set themselves up for success in Chile,” said Sally Barkow, Head of Olympic Operations.
Team USA for the 2023 Pan American Games:
• 49er – Ian Barrows (St. Thomas, USVI) & Hans Henken (Coronado, CA)
• 49erFX – Stephanie Roble (East Troy, WI) & Maggie Shea (Wilmette, IL)
• Men’s Formula Kite – Markus Edegran (Palm Beach, FL)
• Women’s Formula Kite – Daniela Moroz (Lafayette, CA)
• ILCA 6 – Erika Reineke (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
• ILCA 7 – Chapman Petersen (Fontana, WI)
• Men’s iQFOiL – Noah Lyons (Clearwater, FL)
• Women’s iQFOiL – Dominique Stater (Miami, FL)
• Lightning – Allan Terhune, Jr. (Annapolis, MD), Sarah Chin (Harvey Cedars, NJ), & Madeline Baldridge (Charleston, SC)
• Nacra 17 – Sarah Newberry Moore (Miami, FL) & David Liebenberg (Richmond, CA)
• Snipe – Ernesto Rodriguez (Miami, FL) & Kathleen Tocke (Buffalo, NY)
• Men’s Sunfish – Conner Blouin (Charleston, SC)
• Women’s Sunfish – Amanda Callahan (Portsmouth, RI)