U.S. Singlehanded Sailing Championships – Day 2 Report
Published on September 13th, 2013
Brielle, NJ (September 13, 2013) – It was active day on the Atlantic for the competitors in the women’s and men’s divisions of the U.S. Singlehanded Sailing Championships, hosted by Manasquan River Yacht Club. The women’s Byte CII fleet tallied five races following Thursday’s three and the men’s Laser fleet duplicated their four races from yesterday.
USSC13 D2 rlsThrough eight races, Hanne Weaver (Gig Harbor, Wash.) has a two-point lead over Simone Staff (Los Angeles, Calif.). Weaver and Staff have placed outside the top two just once each. Weaver has won five races this week, including three of five today. The stage is set for an exciting set of races to determine the Helen Willis Hanley Trophy winner.
U.S. Singlehanded Sailing Championships Chairman Brian Hawbolt said, “It’s been tight competition between Hanne and Simone all week. They are evenly matched. Both have been sailing well in all conditions this week.”
Women’s division competitor Charlotte List (Fair Haven, Conn.) said, “It’s my first time in a Byte CII, so I’m just trying to get used to it. It’s similar to a Laser. It’s been a great learning experience overall.”
Defending champion Clay Johnson (Point Pleasant, N.J.) continued his win streak with four more wins and is undefeated this week. He holds a 13-point lead over Stephen Long (Santa Barbara, Calif.), who finished second to Johnson in three of the four races today. The men are competing for the George D. O’Day Trophy.
The conditions were not has harsh on Friday in comparison to Thursday. There was very little wind when racing started late this morning. In the afternoon, breeze built to 15 knots. Two more races are scheduled for Saturday’s regatta finale.
Laser’s Men’s Top 6
1. Clay Johnson, LEHYC, TRYC, EYC, 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1- ; 8
2. Stephen Long, Santa Barbara/Cabrillo Beach YC, 2-3-3-2-2-2-5-2- ; 21
3. Marc Jacobi, Cedar Point YC, 5-2-2-3-3-3-2-3- ; 23
4. Glen Dickson, Bay Head YC, 4-4-4-4-5-6-3-4- ; 34
5. Mike Russom, Greater Wildwood YC, 3-6-5-5-6-7-4-7- ; 43T
6. Eric Reitinger, Brant Beach YC, 6-5-6-6-4-4-6-6- ; 43T
Byte CII’s Women’s Top 6
1. Hanne Weaver, Seattle YC, 2-1-1-2-1-3-1-1- ; 12
2. Simone Staff, California YC, 1-2-2-1-2-1-3-2- ; 14
3. Charlotte List, Corinthian YC Cape May, 3-3-3-3-5-2-2-3- ; 24
4. Sophie Naughton, Eastern YC, 5-4-4-4-4-4-6-4- ; 35
5. Bridget MacCormack, Toms River YC, 4-5-5-6-3-5-5-6- ; 39
6. Kelli Harrod, Eagle Creek SC, 6-7/DNF-7/DNF-5-6-6-4-5- ; 46
Visit the official event website this week for the Notice Race, full rosters, standings, photos, real-time Twitter updates, daily recaps, and more.
The U.S. Singlehanded Sailing Championships is a US Sailing National Championship regatta, sponsored by Hobie Polarized, Zim Sailing and Gill North America. The championship is a Sailors for the Sea – Clean Regattas certification event.