The Sailing Market 2014: State of the Industry
Published on February 18th, 2014
Bonnier Corporation, publisher of Sailing World and Cruising World magazines, has released their State of the Industry report for 2014. Here are some findings from their research:
– US sailboat brokerage sales increased 5%, from 5456 units in 2012 to 5745 units in 2013.
– Total value of brokerage sailboats sold in US increased 18% year over year.
– Solid gains in all aspects for heart of the US market, sailboats 26’ to 55’.
– Mount Gay Rum is the favorite US bar liquor. Sailors drank 2,287,100 glasses of rum, gin and tequila in the last 7 days.
– Imports into North America rebound with a vengeance, up 55% to 303 sailboats over 20-feet
– Importers are forecasting another good year in 2014, expecting to be up 23% across all market segments and sizes.
– After experiencing our first increase in over a decade in 2012, North American sailboat production gave up its gains and retreated 13% in 2013.
– Multihulls comprised one out of every five boats built in North America in 2013, following a consistent historical level.
– As always, North American sailboat builders are optimistic, predicting +8% growth in 2014. They are most bullish about the two ends of the market – under 20’ and over 36’.
Click here for complete report.