Tim Healy tops J/70 North American Championship
Published on July 20th, 2014
Rochester, NY (July 20, 2014) – Tim Healy, with his team of John Mollicone, Gordon Borges and Geoff Becker, overcame the 71-boat fleet to win the 2014 J/70 North American Championship title on July 17-20.
Hosted by Rochester Yacht Club, the first two days completed five races, but a lack of wind on the third day idled the fleet. Healy entered the final day in second, 11 points behind Brian Keane. Conditions allowed for only one race, and it was Healy’s 10th against Keane’s 35th that turned the tide.
Healy praised the Race Committee, led by PRO Hank Stuart. “Hank and his crew did a really great job getting races off in the tough conditions that we had,” noted Healy. “The race management was excellent.”
Healy also complimented the welcoming hospitality at the Rochester Yacht Club. “For the J/70 Class, this is a great place to have a Championship regatta,” Healy continued. “Everything was done first-class. We enjoyed every part of it, and stayed for all the dinners. It was fun for us; we had a great time in Rochester.”
Martin Johnsson, who finished 11th overall, won the Corinthian Division, with Adam Burns in second and Brian Elliott in third.
The second edition of the North American Championship attracted teams from Bermuda, Brazil, Canada, Great Britain, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Sweden and USA.
Final results (Top 10 of 71; 6 races, no discard)
1. Tim Healy, USA, 3-3-6-9-12-10, 43 points
2. Ian Atkins, GBR, 6-20-3-13-7-1, 50
3. Brian Keane, USA, 5-6-2-4-5-35, 57
4. Mauricio Santa Cruz, BRA, 4-16-1-29%-10-7, 67
5. Allan Terhune, USA, 10-13-4-27-3-11, 68
6. Martin Kullman, USA, 21-15-21-8-2-4, 71
7. John Brim, USA, 24-9-9-17-11-3, 73
8. Kris Werner/Flip Wehrheim, USA, 20-7-22-5-9-13, 76
9. Joel Ronning, USA, 29-2-8-28-1-9, 77
10. Bennet Greenwald, USA, 16-22-5-1-13-43, 100
Report by class media.