Luckiest team to win race to China
Published on January 9th, 2015
(January 9, 2015; Day 7) – The Volvo Ocean Race teams are on Leg 3 from Abu Dhabi, UAE to Sanya, China (4,642 nm), which started Jan. 3 with an ETA on or after Jan. 19.
Leg 3 Position Report (as of 15:40 UTC)
1. Dongfeng Race Team, Charles Caudrelier (FRA), 3437.8 nm Distance to Finish
2. Team Brunel, Bouwe Bekking (NED), 5.4 nm Distance to Lead
3. Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing, Ian Walker (GBR), 14.7 nm DTL
4. Team Alvimedica, Charlie Enright (USA), 27.2 nm DTL
5. MAPFRE, Iker Martinez (ESP), 32.8 nm DTL
6. Team SCA, Sam Davies (GBR), 36.6 DTL
7. Team Vestas Wind, Chris Nicholson (AUS), Did not start
The 2014-15 Volvo Ocean Race began in Alicante, Spain on Oct. 11 with the final finish on June 27 in Gothenburg, Sweden. Racing the new one design Volvo Ocean 65, seven teams will be scoring points in 9 offshore legs to determine the overall Volvo Ocean Race winner. Additionally, the teams will compete in 10 In-Port races at each stopover for a separate competition – the Volvo Ocean Race In-Port Series.