Santa Cruz 70 wins ORR Great Lakes Championship
Published on October 29th, 2015
Newport, RI (October 29, 2015) – The Offshore Racing Association (ORA) announced the winners of the 2015 Offshore Racing Rule Great Lakes Championship Series. Taking first place was Samuel Nedeau’s Windancer, a Santa Cruz 70. Over 100 boats qualified for scoring in this year’s series and the winning boats were the top boats in conditions that ranged from light to heavy and close-course racing to distance events.
Top Three Overall
1. Windancer – Santa Cruz 70 – owned by Samuel P. Nedeau
2. Cynthia – Morgan 41 – owned by Andrew Grootendorst & James B DeVries
3. Evolution – Santa Cruz 70 – owned by Terry Kohler & Pete Reichelsdorfer
Complete standing: click here
The Great Lakes Championship Series began in 2010 with the Offshore Racing Rule Owners Association (ORROA) in cooperation with the ORA and ORR. The 2015 Series included:
• Queen’s Cup Race (June), South Shore Yacht Club
• Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac (July), Chicago Yacht Club
• Bayview Mackinac Race (July), Bayview Yacht Club
• Verve Cup (August), Chicago Yacht Club
Races that are included in the Championship Series are not required to run under ORR by race organizers as boats are re-scored as long as they hold a valid ORR certificate. This allows for a much more inclusive format for cruiser-racers to participate.
Source: Bjorn Johnson, Offshore Racing Association